Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 400 Offsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiden

Vendor
Dec 27, 2006
US
So have customer who has BCM 400 4.0.
Bus 2 DSM 32+
Bus 3 DSM 32+
Bus 4 4X16 4 Trunks
Bus 5 4X16 16 Stations
Bus 6 PRI
Bus 7 PRI
They would like to add 16 additional Digital Stations.
Can we use offsets to use 2nd half of Bus 5 to add additional 16 stations? Or could we even use 4??

Looking at documentation see dip switch settings below.

Bus 4 off on off on off on 301 - 316
Bus 5 off on off on off off 333 - 348

Is there any issue in doing this? Is there recommendation on which to use. I would like to use Bus 5 since already has stations on it.

If not plausible. They don't really need 4 Analog Trunks and could replace 4X16 with DSM 32+. But would really like to avoid that as assume would need to re-program the existing 16 stations on Bus 5.

Any assistance and noting of any pitfalls on doing this as always is appreciated.

Hi Chiden,
The BCM400 has only 4 slots and you haven't said whether it has an expansion unit so tell us what is actually installed in to the unit and which bus they are configured to.

Sorry. Yes there is an expansion cabinet. Here are physical Slots the MBM's are in.
Main Cabinet Top MBM. Bus 2 DSM 32+
Main Cabinet 2nd to top MBM. Bus 3 DSM 32+
Main Cabinet 3rd to top MBM. 4x16 Combo. The 4 Trunks are using Bus 4
THE SAME CARD IS using Bus 5 also.
Main Cabinet Bottom MBM. Bus 6 PRI
Expansion Cabinet Top Right MBM slot. Bus 7 PRI

Also disregard question about offsetting bus 4. Can't offset Trunk with Station. So hoping can use offset to last slots of Bus 5. WHICH IS ACTUALLY PART OF 4X16 Combo.

On the BCM400 R4.0 the 4X16 will use the full DS30 bus for digital stations. So you will not be able to add another DSM16 to the BCM400. If you was to upgrade to a BCM450 it would allow you to add the DSM16. So the only option that you have is to remove the 4X16 and replace it with the DSM32. If you set it to double density it will only use the 1 DS30 buss

On the 400, the 4X16 module takes up 2 buses but you only set the switches for one. If you want to use bus 4, then set the switches accordingly and the 4 portion (GATM4) will occupy bus 4 and the system will automatically set the 16 (DSM16+) to bus 5. You don't have any choice in the matter. Thats's why you can't assign a 4X16 to bus 7 (on a 2/6 split). On the positive side. you can add another independent DSM16+ on Bus 5 set to offset 2.

As a word of caution, if you ever plan on upgrading that box to a 450 and want to use the DMM to migrate the data, it does not like it when you add a second DSM16 on a bus assigned by using a 4X16. I learned that one the hard way and so did the guy from Avaya. It's a hardware configuration that was not taken into account when they designed the DMM tool. You'll never get past the hardware config step.

Ok. Seems like got two completely conflicting answers there. That makes me nervous. My ideal goal would be to add an independent DSM16 with offsets that would assign it to Bus 5. Ports 517-532.

Then go ahead and do it. Just set your dip switch settings for bus 5 offset 2. It has to be offset 2 because the 4X16 will already assign offset 0 and each DSM16+ takes up 2 offsets so you have to use 2. If you're looking in the manual, make sure you look at the table for a DSM16+ module for the actual settings. Don't worry, it works fine.

Thanks telcodog. If anyone else wants to give input it would be appreciated. From what I read. It seems like it should work. And Telcodog you make me feel better. But would like to see if anyone else has actually done the two offsets with combination of 4x16 on and stand alone dsm16. Dougs response just has me leery. He seemed pretty confident in his answer. Doug is there any additional information you've seen on post that affects your recommendation? Of are you still of mindset need to replace 4x16 with DSM 32??

And that the 16DSM is going to be in expansion module. That shouldn't be an issue should it??

No problem. On the 400, bus switch settings mattere, not the physical slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back