Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 400 failed hard drive 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndoe88

Programmer
Jun 19, 2002
US
I have been tasked with resurrecting an old BCM 400 that has a failed 20GB hard drive. I connected a monitor to the system and it's reporting "Disk I/O error Status 00001000" errors during boot, and appears to be based on the WinNT operating system. The system phones work fine so I believe the only issue is with the hard drive.

I pulled the old drive (Nortel part# NTAB9926) and was able to view the contents of a couple partitions and open the PartitionVersion.txt file with contents "BCM 3.5 Build 2.3b". Hoping that is enough information to figure out what i need to replace the drive.

I also have a backup on cd from 2006 with 9 bru files so hoping the required keys/license data is there.

I have read through many of the posts here and was hoping someone would be willing to share the bit utility and discs for re-imaging that version on a replacement drive.

Of course, any other helpful info would also be appreciated!

Thanks,
John

Well I had a good laugh or two reading this thread with the additions from yesterday. It's never easy trying to get a failed disk to work. I've even tried using a good hammer after using the oven and freezer methods.

It was more to do with frustration than anything else. A star from me for the "ddrescue" tip!.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

Just wanted to give an update and another thank you to everyone, I was able to replace the failed drive with a new 3.7 and enter the keycodes provided by FirebirdScrambler, reconfigure networking and reprogram the call pilot. I also made an Acronis offline image of the new drive before installing it so hopefully if we do have another hard drive failure I can create a new replacement drive.

So thanks again to everyone and have a great weekend!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back