Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 400 Can't Call Remote Site via H.323 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELBeast

MIS
Mar 13, 2006
US
Hi my company has a BCM400 Rel 3.7 in the UK that used to be able to call our San Diego office. Recently, the UK office is unable to call the San Diego office. The UK BCM can call the other offices just fine however. The San Diego office can call the UK office, just not vice versa. The H.323 gateway is at our corporate office and all H.323 endpoints are registered with the gateway and the routing is setup correctly.
Here is a quick break down of the environment:
UK OFC BCM400 Rel.3.7
NL OFC BCM400 Rel.3.7
MACAU OFC BCM400 Rel.4.0
SAN DIEGO OFC BCM400 Rel.4.0 (Recently upgraded from 3.7)
CORPORATE OFC CS1KS 4.0

All inter-office calls are via H.323 over IPSEC tunnels. This had worked perfectly for years. I have already checked the codecs (G.729) and the destination codes. Everything is correct.

The error being received is resource unavailable. Here is a print out from the BCM Monitor:
[{Set 3399 172.31.1.250:51076}=>{GW 1 172.16.20.252:28002} G.711, 3 fpp, SMALL jb, ECan+NLP]

I want to say this is a data network routing issue, but I'm not sure. Since calls to other sites work ok, is there something else I can check?

How do I get a detailed log that shows me the break down of the attempted call? The log might give me enough information to pinpoint the issue.

Thanks in advance..

I have already checked the codecs (G.729) and the destination codes. Everything is correct.

The error being received is resource unavailable. Here is a print out from the BCM Monitor:
[{Set 3399 172.31.1.250:51076}=>{GW 1 172.16.20.252:28002} G.711, 3 fpp, SMALL jb, ECan+NLP]

Your issue is not data network related. the answer is in the info provided. Resource unavailable means that the local system doesn't have the DSP resources or signalling resources to encode the call.

Also, you indicated that the codec's are g.729, but the message shows g.711. Run BCM monitor and watch the usage tab and see if you are running out of reources (either DSP or Signalling). You may need to add 2 more PEC III cards if you have only 2, or you could have a faulty one which is not enabling the BCM to encode the call.

This could be intermittent.

Hi, thanks for the reply. However what you are looking at is the initial call setup to the gateway, which uses the gateway reserved codec of G.711, once the H.323 tunnel is established the codec that is used is G.729. At first I thought the issue was codec related as well, until I tested and monitored the connections at other locations. It's almost as if the NRS is not even getting the call or unable to establish the H.323 tunnel. It's not a resource issue (DSP or Signaling either)

[Used Media Card Resources]
[Signaling channels] "48 of 64"
[Signaling channels] "75%"
[Media channels] "4 of 64"
[Media channels] "6%"
[Voice bus channels] "6 of 62"
[Voice bus channels] "10%"
[DSP resources] "6 of 128"
[DSP resources] "5%"

[Active Telephony Devices]
[IP trunks] "0 of 6"
[IP trunks] "0%"
[IP sets] "2 of 40"
[IP sets] "5%"
[Voice ports] "0 of 6"
[Voice ports] "0%"
[Media gateways] "2 of 4"
[Media gateways] "50%"

The last time sometime similar like this happened it was related to a BW/QOS issue. But this was corrected awhile ago, unfortunately this is not intermittent. I consistently unable to call our San Diego office from the UK BCM. Does any know if there is a call log or some kind of detail log I can look at to see the call setup/breakdown process?

BCM Monitor, UIP Tab. Check MCDN over IP. That will show you the setup and teardown of the call.

Thanks, it looks like it's stripping off the first two digits and only sending two over when I call anything in that dial plan range. Any ideas where I could check that?

[Type of Number: ESN CDP]
[Screening indicator: User provided, not screened]
[Presentation indicator: Presentation restricted]
[03 00 62 A0 ]
[Called party number - Private/CDP - 59]
[Numbering Plan Identification: Unknown/Reserved Value]
[Number Digits: - 59]

The extension I called was 3959

vs.

[Screening indicator: User provided, not screened]
[Presentation indicator: Presentation restricted]
[03 00 62 A0 ]
[Called party number - Private/CDP - 1652]
[Numbering Plan Identification: Unknown/Reserved Value]
[Number Digits: - 1652]

This call to extension 1652 did work.

Look at your destination code 3 or 39 then check routing to wee what is being absorbed. Could be a typo on someone's part.

Yep that was it, under
Destination Codes
|_
|_ Schedules
|_Normal - Absorbed Length: (set to ALL)

I changed it from ALL to 0

Works fine, I should of checked that when I was in there verifying that the calls were going over the correct route.

Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back