Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 400 Cannot boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramaning

ISP
Jun 1, 2012
GH
I am using BCM 400 and running ver4.0. Its not able to boot. After the Nortel startup screen, it will show

Press any key to continue

Uncompressing...... Loading kernel Ok

and thats all.

I have connected a monitor to it so I left it running for over 30mins but and no progress. Please someone help me on it.

could be corrupt HDD or PSU. I've had a recent problem where BCM400 had all the LEDS flashing and power looked good however PSU had a fault on it and once replaced it booted successfully.

Thank you for that quick response. I have changed the HDD with a preinstalled one and it is with the new HDD that I am having the problem. I have not changed the Power Supply Unit as you have suggested and I want to know if the power rating of the BCM is that same as that any ordinary desktop computer? Do I need to get one with a special power supply unit? Thank you.

Thanks Curly for the help but I want to be sure because I dont get it if u say but half decent at minimum. I appreciate your help. I want try any PC power supply since you're saying it will work but dont please break down what you mean by but half decent at minimum. Thank you and hope to hear from you.

What is the state of the BCM inside the chassis?. I've had a few sites where the inside and outside were covered or full of muck and dust etc.

I've cleaned them all out and have checked / reseated the connections including the MSC cards. Also check the motherboards capacitors in case one of them has failed, although that shouldn't be a problem these days. As stated above, the main faults tend to be either the hard disk or the power unit or both!.

I usually just connect up to the serial port at 9600 on the BCM 400 and see what is displayed on the screen.

Also it might be worth while unplugging any modules before you power up to rule them out as being a problem.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Thanks Firebird, I have checked inside the unit and there is no dust in there. As you are saying I will try to change the power supply and see if it will work because I have changed the HDD. I want to know one thing please help me here. The screen will not come on when powered but the extensions works alright. I tried to do some troubleshooting by taking out a card and I dont know if that is the MSC card. Its a card that is about half the size of the motherboard connected to a daughter board on the motherboard with four cables linking the extensions part of the unit.I want to know if the BCM will not boot without it. There is something I didnt tell you. With my little troubleshooting I took out that card and the Nortel screen showed up and booted to where it got stuck at the Loading kernel. Could it really be that the system is not getting enough power and that the power should replaced? I hope I can try with any PC power supply? Please help me confirm if the power ratings are the same. Thank you.

Thank you Curlycord will check and let you know. Appreciate it.

If you get 3 beeps on power up then its the power unit.

Most of my faults have been the power supplies and I have went through about 10 so far

Replace power unit.

Hi All, I want to thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it. After changing the power the BCM is back up. Back up as in now I am able to ping the IP address on the internet. My other problem is the power light instead of green is showing red. Is this normal? Also, I usually get the greetings on the main line but not any more. I am rather getting the greetings on another line which also use greet callers. Can you please help me on this. Thank you once again. I am no longer able to log into the system either via web or serial connection. I tried the default username ee_admin password PlsChgMe! is not working. Any help as to how I can reset the password?

if its a 4.0 version then you log in via element manager with the nnadmin account.
this is also used by IE to get to the application download pages .

ee admin is usually on old 2.5--3.0 --3.7 versions.

Use the username and password you used when you changed the hard drive and configured it
nnadmin
followed by the password

Call pilot password can be reset using the feature 985-9-resetsmpswd.

also if you think the power supply was at fault then why dont you put back the old hard drive to see if it works that way you still have the programming!!!

Red led is usually an alarm..if you had pri trunks unplugged when booted up then you will get alarm 75.

Thank you snowman, actually I have installed back the old HDD and it looks as if the administrator who was managing it before changed the password and I cannot reach him to get it. I need help to reset it so that I can check and change certain configs. I have not logged into it for some time now and I think he changed the password and forgot to tell me. It was because we were not having any problem until the power issue. Please help me. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back