Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 400 4.0 lights flashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsaad

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
I thought I had a good working spare. it's a 4.0. Lights from CALL PILOT LOGO to LAN 1 and 2, and those lights in between just flash for eternity. Phone will have time and date. I thought the drive was new. hard disk light just flashes once every once in a while. Bad disk?

I would use a serial port to monitor the boot up sequence. Look on the FAQ section as I think there is a guide there.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

That also could be:
Bad HDD
Bad BFT
Wrong Release software

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I get nothing out of the serial port. the phone attached works (t7316e). I still get flashing lights 'across the board'. If I unplug the fan, I get a red light on the fan icon.

serial port is N81, 9600 with null modem cable. I am using a tripplite usb to serial adapter. which is otherwise flawless.

BFT - capacitors starting to bulge
1st version were green (not blue) capacitors, they bulged too early.

I forgot my most recent 400 testing...interface card and PS

Bad HDD
Bad BFT
Bad or Flaky PS
Bad Power Interface Card
Wrong Release software

I fixed 1 of 3, I had to take a break on them.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I changed the HDD twice, I changed the power supply. Still only flashing. I hooked up a monitor and got nothing at all. I have a GATM8 and a DSM32 in there, the phone will work. My capacitors are not swollen. System is barely used. Could it be RAM?

Maybe
What is the beep code your getting?

Are the 2 hard drives and power supplies proven to work on another BCM?
Do you have a 2nd 400 to test with?

I do know that a bad HDD will have all led's flashing, and the fact that serial wont work is because the operating system is not booted up.

Power Supplies also get bulginitus on the caps...open them up and see.
Maybe it's only enough juice for the phones and not the HDD.
Test the HDD power connector, might need a Molex to Sata to test...or feel for spinning, or the broom stick test, or replace it.

FYI about Hard Drive tray...there is a slight difference in bays so do not mix them up, the older ones for 400 will not go in all the way on a 450 because the bay has a tab that is hair longer.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I get one beep. Maybe I am not writing the disk correctly. I have the 4.0 cds. can I get the BIT tool from a 450 system?

I got a good monitor on the system, it says Grub error 17. Must I re-image the disk or can I fix this someway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back