Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 400 3.7 Does Not Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

skb2009

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2009
US
Hi All,

We have BCM 400 running on 3.7. All of sudden it went down. No LED was lit.After basic trouble shooting, I found that that it might be the PSU. I took out the PSU and replaced it with PSU from a PC.
BCM would boot up but all the LED's did not turn green. For example LAN1 LED was solid dark and LAN2 was blinking green. BCM would not answer incoming calls but outgoing calls were working.

Then we ordered a refurbished BCM power supply. BCM would not boot, first LED would turn RED. I am not sure if the refurbished PSU bad. I connected it to PC and PC would turn on.

Can anyone suggest anything else?

Calling a tech would certainly help.
Might be the mobo....BFT

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Appreciate your reply.Our tech has abandoned us.

I connected the PC power supply and monitor. I see that OS is not booting because it is not able to find a DLL file. Is there any way to repair it?

Vendors would bring out a BFT , PS and a Hard Drive in this case.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Curlycord appreciate your valuable help.

It's quite common for either the PSU or Hard Disk or both to fail. You might want to try and connect up the hard disk via e.g. a USB to IDC cable to see if the hard disk works.

Also plug in a serial cable onto the front along with a keyboard, mouse and monitor and see what happens when you boot the BCM up.

You might still have a working hard disk, but it could be corrupted!.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

Firebird, Appreciate your comments.

I have connected the monitor and it shows windows NT stop error "c0000135 (Unable to locate DLL) The dynamic link library winsrv could not be found."

I connected the drive to different PC as a secondary drive and I was able to browse the files and folder and I was able to locate the winsrv.dll file. Hard drive is good, it seems like OS registry hive got corrupted.

We got the new drive as well as PSU but it is getting stuck where BCM OS is getting loaded. I have screen showing
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 6)
1 system processor(511MB RAM).

It does not move forward from this screen.

The keyboard, Monitor and Mouse is only really good for the initial boot up and it's of no use after that. You can use it to get into BIOS and that is also a good place to check some settings as I've found that problems do occur in there such as the wrong Operating System selection area. It changes if you have the later BCM V4.0 Linux installed!.

You really need to hook up a serial port at 9600 baud with a null modem adapter fitted for the older Windows NT versions to see if you are able to access the system at command line level to log in and perhaps change the LAN 1 IP address etc.

I've found an old guide that I did some years ago that should be of some use to you. Near to the end it explains the process of installing a new hard drive on a Windows 2.x or 3.x system as well as the later 4.0 Linux version.

Another useful point to make is that you should be using an old computer such as Windows XP with older Java and Internet Explorer installed as the newer browsers can be a pain unless you make a number of changes in order to view the BCM screens properly.

I still have a Windows 98 laptop on standby to use on these old systems if I run into problems!.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

If you bought a factory default hard drive then it needs to have the platform initialized via the serial port before it will boot up. Change the date to 1-1-2008 before you initialize or you won't be able to access the BCM through the web browser. Change the date back to today's date once you are able to login with the browser.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back