Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 3.7 hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

RYLSFAN

Programmer
Apr 13, 2005
US
I have a BCM 3.7 that seems to have lost it's hard function. Mail is out, call center is down and IP phone won't register.

I want to replace the hard drive. Can anyone tell me what steps are involved? Can i simply remove the current hard drive and replace it with the new one?

All help is appreciated.

Thats not my fastball, thats my hurry up and get by you pitch... Satchel Paige

Replace it w/ another 3.7 HD. You'll have to connect via the serial port and initialize the HD before using. you may also have to do the universal profile. All instructions are in the manual.

If your hard disk is dead I pray you have a recent back up!

You will need to purchase a replacment 3.7 hard disk from a nortel partner, install, restore the backup.

If you have no backup you will need to re-setup all the application feature (Voicemail, VoIP, Call Center).

Set programming is stored on the [MSC] media services card.

When the drive dies, your lines and set will work in the minimum.

You cannot just go to future shop and get a drive an pop it in.. The drive contain all the Nortel software "guts", if you will.

Also, if the drive is dead you should have some alarm lights perhaps on the front panel

You can also open the front panel (grill) and attache a VGA monitor to watch the boot process and see if it booting or throwing a disk error.

Good Luck!

Feature ** RLS: The feature code to fix annoying phone calls :)

It's worth seeing if you can take the disk out and add it in as an extra drive on another computer running Win2000 onwards to see if it can be accessed?.

Here is my tip below.

BCM 400 3.7 Disk Example Information

Drive No Partition Type Size MB Used MB Unused MB Status Pri/Log

(G:) DOS FAT 15.7 0.0 15.6 None Primary
(H:) WINNT NTFS 2,502.3 884.4 1,617.9 Active Primary
(I:) MAINTOS NTFS 1,004.1 539.3 464.7 None Primary
(*) Extended 15,476.7 15,476.7 0.0 None Primary
(J:) DATA NTFS 9,452.3 210.9 9,241.4 None Logical
(K:) LOGS NTFS 2,008.1 4.7 2,003.4 None Logical
(L:) NNACTIVE NTFS 2,008.1 1857.9 150.2 None Logical
(M:) NNINACTIVE NTFS 2,008.1 6.1 2,001.9 None Logical
(*) Unallocated 470.7 0.0 0.0 None Primary

How do I install a replacement hard drive?
UK example!

Select BCM 3.x or BCM 4.0
BCM 3.x Hard Drive
1. Replace the old hard drive with the new hard drive.
2. Visually inspect the inside of the BCM to confirm all connections are OK. It may be a good idea to use a PC style vacuum
cleaner to remove excessive amounts of dust from the unit.

3. Replace the cover

4. Connect your PC to Serial port using a Null Modem Serial cable (available from Maplin item VD76)

5. Apply power to the BCM & allow 5 minutes for the BCM to become operational. During this time it will perform a check disk
and a reboot.

6. Open Hyper terminal session on your PC
• IN CONNECTION DESCRIPTION NAME IT BCM AND PICK AN ICON
• IN PHONE NUMBER CHECK CONNECT USING IS DIRECT TO COM 1
• IN COM 1 PROPERTIES CHECK PORT SETTINGS
• BITS PER SECOND 9600
• DATA BITS 8
• PARITY NONE
• STOP BITS 1
• FLOW CONTROL HARDWARE
7. If the BCM is ready you will then be prompted to log in.
• user name: ee_admin
• domain: (leave blank just press return)
• password: PlsChgMe! or eedge depending on HDD
8. You will then be presented with a menu, press1 to select "Platform Initialisation Menu".

9. From the "Platform Initialisation Menu" choose option 1 - "Initialise Menu"

10. From the Initialise Menu" choose option 1 - "Initialise Universal Profile" and wait for a short time for the next menu to appear

11. From the "MSC Initialisation Menu" choose option 3 – depending on HDD version this maybe "E1 MSC LOAD" for 3.01 and 3.5 and "UK MSC E1" for 3.6. Again depending on the HDD version the leds on BCM will flash in a particular way. For 3.01 and 3.5 all Leds will flash green and for 3.6 you will see the Power flash red then the Temperature followed by the Fan and other leds will be green or out.

12. During this stage the BCM will upload the necessary files and core and will do various reboots, when you have all leds showing steady green it has completed. The whole process should be completed within 30-40 minutes.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

Useful Nortel forum at
If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Here are a few other things that you will have to do after you have run the Universal Profile. It would be a good idea to patch the system to match whatever your old drive was patched at. Makes the restore easier as I have had problems restoring if the core software is not the same as what the backup was done at. Also if you don't have the key codes you will have to know the system I.D. so you can retrieve your key codes as they will have to be entered in the new drive.

You could also have a bad MSC card. What color are the capacitors on it, blue or black. There was a recall on these but the time to get the MSC replaced has passed unless Nortel extended it. If those caps are bad, a reboot may fix it for awhile but as they get worse, more reboots are needed until it fails completely.

Oldestgeek: The bad caps weren't on the MSC. They were on the motherboard of the BFT.

so i found out that this machine had redundant hard drives. we moved the secondary drive onto the ribbon of the primary drive and everything is working fine. I have a hard drive to replace the bad one. Any tips on the easiest way to accomplish adding the new drive?

Thats not my fastball, thats my hurry up and get by you pitch... Satchel Paige

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back