Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 3.6 BRU Telephony restore error

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfisherwsci

Programmer
Apr 22, 2008
US
Have a BCM 400 (3.6) and trying to restore telephony from BRU and am getting a error in the BRU.rep.txt file stating "at the moment it is not possible to perform telephony restore. Try again later"

Phone extensions all out of order and nothing is as before. Any suggestions?

make sure the regions of the backed up files match the set region of the BCM you are restoring to...

joezzz

Two other possible causes:

1. The core version of the backup must match the core version currently on the BCM. So .. if the back up was taken some time ago and the BCM has had a new core patch applied after, then the telephony part of the restore won't work.

2. If the core versions do match between the BCM and the backup, then use the following procedure:

- Shut down and Power off the BCM
- Remove the MBM's
- Power up the BCM
- Wait until the LEDs are solid
- Restore Telephony backup
- Power down the BCM, reseat the MBM's, Power up

Have you changed any of the Modules?

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

The current core patch is not match the backup.

But, if you did not change the MSC card, all your telephony programming should stay within it, no need restore telephony.

Always learn from someone, something and somewhere......

MC

BCM hard drive had to be replaced. F: Drive had an NNInactive (registry/software mismatch problem) that Nortel States can only be resolved by replacing the hard drive.

Changed hard drive with Nortel factory 3.6 hard drive and tried to restore. Nothing else changed except the hard drive. Followed a Nortel document for basic system setup and initialization for the new hard drive then tried to restore telephony, licensing and voice applications. Licensing and Voice applications restores worked, telephony gave me the error "unable to perform telephony restore at this time. Please try again later"

After restore failed I even tried to go back to the old hard drive and restore to it and we got the same problem with telephony restore. There wasn't really anything wrong with the original hard drive except the 'NNINACTIVE' on the F: but that only inhibits future upgrades (which was the core reason why we were changing the hard drive)

The F: Drive had an NNInactive should not have prevented a telephony restore. Remember, telephony is on the MSC - not the hard drive.

That being said, on either hard drive (original or new) - if the CORE version does not match between the BCM and the Backup, telephony restore will never work.

For example, if the backup is a 3.6 with a core patch applied and the new hard drive is a 3.6 with no core patches applied, then the new 3.6 hard drive will have to be patched to the exact core version as the backup.

If the core version of the backup is unknown - you are likely stuck hand programming telephony.

On the other hand, I worked with someone once that had zero idea what the telephony programming was so - we applied one core patch at a time and attempted a restore between each patch until we got to the core version that worked. It was painful so it's simply better to keep records of what backup has what patches and records of telephony programming - just in case.

If the core version DO match for sure, then try the MBM removal procedure mentioned above. That works when the core matches in this sort of issue.

I pulled these from the old drive's 'Patchhistory.xml" file and these are the patches applied on old drive.

<Patch PatchID="BRU3030221002" DateApplied="12/09/2003 4:13p"/>

<Patch PatchID="CTEPatch_PLANT4" DateApplied="12/11/2003 1:31a"/>

<Patch PatchID="BRU3030221002" DateApplied="09/09/2004 10:29a"/>

<Patch PatchID="BCM_360.034_CORE.08.0603" DateApplied="09/30/2004 6:47p"/>

<Patch PatchID="BCM_360.047_VM.22.0057" DateApplied="10/01/2004 10:32a"/>

<Patch PatchID="BCM_360.337_VP3.41.001" DateApplied="03/21/2007 8:23a"/>

New drive has no patches installed from factory at nortel. Tonight after business hours I'm going to apply the patches off the Nortel Components 3.1 disk and try a restore afterward. Fingers crossed.

I appreciate the helpfulness of this forum. You all have opened a nice path for me to pursue. I will update to inform one way or the other

As long as the backup was taken while those patches were applied, you'll be golden.

BCM_360.034_CORE.08.0603 is the only one you're concerned with for your telephony restore.

If I were in your shoes, I would not waste time applying the other patches but rather, AFTER your telephony programming is restored, apply the latest Cumulative Patch and take a new backup. Would be much faster.

Best of success!

If you read Nortel document very carefully about how to replace and initialize a HDD, you will find Nortel says DO NOT restore telephony!

Always learn from someone, something and somewhere......

MC

Well, if the task was simply replacing a hard drive then telephony would not need to be restored since the programming is located on the MSC.

However if telephony is defaulted - for whatever reason - as seems to be the case here - then that is clearly the purpose of having a telephony backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back