Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 200 (Feature: 981) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldman

MIS
Apr 25, 2002
US
We have a BCM 200 and the tech says it is "dead". The only function that isn't working is v/m. The diagnosis is a dead HD.
I know NOTHING about phone systems.

To repair the system they want to charge ~$3,000.00. For a "new system", it's ~$4,600.00. These costs seem excessive. Is there more involved with this than just changing out the HD?

ANY responses would be appreciated.

Thanks.

They must have just started the ER Fee as I just got one 2 weeks ago.

Our vendor "Re-Checked" the bulletin and discovered our P/N IS on the list. They are getting a replacement BFT. Hopefully this is the problem and we will not have to deal with getting a new HD.

ACEWARLOCK, thanks for all your help!

Any recommendations for a reputable vendor in the Salt Lake City area?

The saga continues.

The BFT was replaced but we still have no Voice Mail. From what the tech told me, when the unit boots up, it emits 2 beeps and the HD light stays a solid green.

Is this just a bad HD?

I actually had an old BCM1000 that a bad Portway motherboard AND a bad hard drive. Did the tech hook up a monitor to the BCM and boot up?

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)

I don't know what troubleshooting steps he's done.
I've been told that they found a v3.7 HD that they can put into it, but they can't guarantee it's a bad HD.

I've asked if they could remove the current HD, place it into a known good system and verify it's bad. Will this work in the "Nortel World"? This is how I would troubleshoot a PC...

I've been told that it MAY be the MSC or PEC if a new HD doesn't fix the problem, but they won't know until they get a new HD.

Is this SOP w/ Nortel equipment? Isn't there a way to check the MSC/PEC independant of the HD?

Have the tech to hook up a monitor and boot up the system and watch and see what errors he gets if any.

You should get a new Vendor, it sounds like BCM's are not his expertice.

From what I've been told, it is completely unresponsive. Nothing displays on the monitor.

It went from no Vmail to not working at all, what kights do they get if any??? Sounds to me like they didn't get the BFT plugged in right.

Alls well. The BFT was replaced By Nortel. They were able to find another HD (v3.7) and install it and all is working properly.

To me this is a pretty poor way to run a shop. I, the customer, had to point them to the BFT replacement (via this board). After I told them I had found a replacement HD on-line, they then told me that THEY had also found a replacement HD.

If I hadn't have done any investigation, they would have either replaced the ENTIRE system w/ either a refurb. or new unit that would have cost more than 2x what we ended up being charged.

Once again, can anyone recommend a vendor located in the SLC area?

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!

Have you discussed your concern with the vendor? There are some bad vendors out there and there are some that are just learning the BCM product. It may have been that they were not trying to pull one over you, but they were just ignorant about the BCM. If this is the case then they certainly learned a good lesson.

They were able to find another HD...they could have imaged one up in about 40 minutes using pretty much any off the shelf drive they wanted 20gig or greater. Any reputable vendor carries images for just such emergencies.

I would go to and search there for a new vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back