Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bcm 1000e expansion trobles 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

voicefarmer

Vendor
Mar 22, 2007
US
I have a BCM that has no dial tone on the expansion cabinet.Is this a symptom of a failing msc card?
whend I first noticed the trouble one of 5 analog modules was giving dialtone but after rebooting I dont get d.t. on any of the analog modules?
Any body have this trouble?

Did you use the special data cable that came with the expansion cabinet to connect to the MSC card?

It was an existing system so i assume it had the right cable.I did try a straight thru cable but it had the same symptoms.
Thanks

When you look in the resources, does it show the modules?

Try shutting down the system and swapping the analog modules into the main chassis and power up. If the problem goes away, you know where to start looking.

The cable that connects the two is a VERY specific cable, but it looks (and acts) like a normal straight through network cable. It is shielded and specific in length (5 meters i think). If it is not the correct one, your system can act like it is on LSD.

I went back to the site today and found that the digital card on the expansion was working,but the 5 analog modules have no d.t. and the status led is blinking on the analog's.I was able to move the affected phones to working ports in the main cabinet.
I also found that the cable being used was identical to a bunch of data cables hanging on the wall so I am going to get a new cable.

Any ideas about the status leds please let me know.It should be solid green.

Thanks

Sounds like they are not correctly provisoned within software. What version is this BCM?

It was an existing system so it was working for so
it was working for some time?
The software is 3.5

Shut down and verify that the dip switches are correct. Did you try placing one of the ASMs in the main cabinet? If so, does it continue to flash?

I'm thinking cable here. Someone probably needed a longer patch cord and said "Hey, that one is long enough. I'll just swap in one of these shorter spares and no-one will know the diference! Boy am I smart!"

Resolution.

We resolved this by installing an off the shelf 350watt pc power supply.The ones nortel uses are weak and do not support the amount of analog modules that the customer had.

Wow. Never would have thought that. Thanks for the update. Have a star for posting the resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back