Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 1000 3.6 drive replacement 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EustaceLufgren

Technical User
Sep 19, 2005
US
Hello!

We have a rather ancient BCM 1000 with 3.6 loaded. Yesterday we were greeted with a failed hard drive...VoIP phones, Unified Manager, voicemail, call trees and the door phone are no longer working.

I was able to slowly and unreliably access the BRU component to do a backup, which ran for about an hour and pulled about 20-something files and about 40MB of backup data off, but it didn't say that it completed before it errored out, so I'm unsure about the backup.

Our service provider can't support the BCM 1000 per Nortel, a fact we learned recently, so outside of biting the bullet and spending gobs of money upgrading to BCM400 (which we should have bought right from the bat when we bought the system in 2005) I'd like to get it up and running in the short term by replacing the drive on my own.

That said, I am not a BCM guru. I was wondering if someone with knowledge on these models could point me in the right direction, to ascertain what exactly I need to do and what to expect when swapping in a new hard drive. I am prepared for losing data and having to reconfigure if the backups don't work, but at least that's better than nothing at all, which we are currently on.

But on the technical data, any detailed direction you can provide would be appreciated. Do I just unplug the power (there is no switch I can find on the BCM 1000) and open the case (have yet to find exactly how to open, but we'll see), and put the new drive in? What happens then when we power it all back on?

Also, just to be clear, this is confirmed to be a preloaded BCM 1000 hard drive with 3.6 on it, so it should be compatible.

Again, all help is appreciated, as the drive should be arriving Monday, and that's when I'll have to attempt this, so any preparation I can acquire is good.

HD has to initialized once replaced and I believe u may need to upload the core profile before the HD is ready to be used. Details are in the manual.

I have a BCM-400 w/ 3.6 that may be for sale soon (upgrading to another brand of system).

Would you be interested in that?

Let me know.

Ed

You need to do a serial connection and do a platform INI. That will do what it needs to get working that also does a core upload.

Just to clarify, I need to do the serial connection specifically, or is it possible to connect and do the initialization using the default NIC address? (10.10.10.1)

I've not done a lot with serial connections and finding a null modem cable I know to be working might be a bit of a task, so if it is possible to just set another computer to 10.10.10.2 and connect that way I'd much prefer that if possible!

You can try to go to maintence and telnet to do a INI.

Thanks all. Just to update, the drive replacement went swimmingly, better than I had hoped. No telnet or any of that ended up being required. All we did was the following:

1. Power down the BCM

2. Replace the drive

3. Restart the BCM

4. Use the default 10.10.10.1 address and default password to connect

5. Use the BRU to restore from backup.

After a few restores (didn't quite get everything the first time, I didn't have all options selected) all was back to normal on reboot. I couldn't have asked for a smoother fix for this problem!

And don't forget to change the date on the bcm to any date in year 2006 before you do the initialization otherwise you will get the apache error.(you wont be able to connect thru unified manager)

I did a replacement in a 400 w/ 3.6. Everything went well but no manger interface. Changing the date to 6/3/08 then reinitializing the HDD resolved that issue. Thank you gberger!

When doing a restore, you should only replace the Telephony and Voice and nothing else.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back