Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCB made me crazy. Question about installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljh

Programmer
May 9, 2001
US
I installed Borland C++ Builder 5 professional several weeks ago, but never used it seriously. Today, when I tried to run a simple program, I found that the component palette of my BCB is quite different with the illustration in the manual. Furthermore, I cannot compile and run the program because of the fatal error: system.obj not found. Thus, I decide to install BCB again to have a fresh begin.

I restarted the PC (win2000), tried to install it again. But in the middle of the installation, I got an error message:

Setup has detected a -115 error while attempting to copy files.
This can be caused by a file being in use while trying to install.
Component: Program Fiiles\Main Program Files\Debugger
File: C:\Program Files\Common Fiiles\Borland Shared\Debugger\bordbk51.dll\bordbk51.dll
Error: -115

I selected "OK", which is the only option, the install continued. After the install finished, I found that no problem was solved. Thus, I decide to clear BCB in my harddisk and install it again.

Anyway, I couldn't find an "uninstall" application for BCB, therefore, I deleted the tree of "borland" in "program files", restarted the PC, and installed it again. However the error of '-115' persisted. So I select 'OK' again an continued the install. After the install finished, I found that the situation is even worse: I couldn't run BCB. Checked with the folder of borland, I found that that folder is almost empty: there's no exe file at all.

Can anybody help me out about these problems? Thanks a lot.

Sounds like all your problems are related. To uninstall Borland, you need to go to My Computer -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. Sounds like in order to install BCB, you will have to stop any nonessential programs, including those in your systrm tray. Something, an antivirus program maybe, is messing up your installation. I *think* I saw something mentioned about this at community.borland.com. I didn't have any problems installing BCB 5 on 98SE or NT.
James P. Cottingham

Thank you for your help. The problems have been solved by deleting the DLL file mentioned in the -115 error and reinstall BCB again. I learnt it from the Inprise installation support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back