Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bcakground music on MLX Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwenger

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2002
US
I have a Legend R7 at home.

Can the music on hold source be fed to the MLX display telephone speakers for background music. I thought I had done this in the past but can not find the feature in the manual.

Perhaps I am thinking of our old Toshiba system???

I'm not sure it even applies to MOH in a home.

Much of what I play is with permission anyway. Live Jam Band recordings, original music from me and my friends.

Some of it is copyrighted performances or even me playing cover songs for which I have not obtained the proper licensing to record. As long as I'm not making any money it would be difficult for them to claim damages.

With the Internet broadcasting it is password protected and the listeners have no way of controlling the content. It is also difficult for them to retain the songs on their systems as they would have to re-record them.

And like you say, who cares anymore. I spend more than the average bear supporting the artists I enjoy. I still pay for new albums and I go see concerts all the time.

FYI, A local nightclub near me just got busted for having live music without paying BMI royalties. It happens but not much.

Not to beat a dead dog here, but I'm sure there are alot of
techs out there who laugh at the notion of having their
customers pay royalties for the right to have MOH. There are some fees that are sore subjects with customers....ie..
right to use,,,,etc....once over the air or using a purchased CD for the source...its all fair game. This debate about MOH is as out date as the the old Kts systems.

No debate here, and anyway, discussing what laws one chooses to follow is not the purpose of this forum.

Just pointing out what's legal and what isn't.
I've found that many people honestly don't know in the first place.

Choosing to violate established laws is your own choice, but just realize that our government is currently very eager to prosecute ANY individual or company regarding issues involving music licenses.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back