Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Baystack470- Unable to save configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechyfrmCAN

Technical User
Oct 17, 2007
CA
I am unable to manaully save the configuration of a Nortel Baystack switch (470-24T).
When i run the copy command, got the error "% Could not copy to nvram". The software release is "SW:v3.0.0.54".

Any help is much appreciated.

BAYSTACK#copy config nvram
% Could not copy to nvram

I am not very much familier with baystack switches and don't beleive that GUI access is enabled. I appreciate if you could provide some guidelines how to access GUI or some otherway around.

Give the unit an IP address in CLI and turn on HTTP (also in CLI).

Open a browser and navigate to said IP address.

Simple and documented in user guides.

Most of the Nortel 4xx switches, the configuration is automatically saved a few seconds after it is changed - no need to manually save them.

I don't have 470 switches, but they ~should~ be the same as the 460 and the BPS line that I have.

...BTW, the only Nortel switches I have that I need to manually save configs on are the 8600 and the 1424T.

I will concur with what you have already been told. 470's auto save. There are no startup/run configs.

if you want to backup the config off the swtich the command is.......

copy run tftp address <ipadd> filename <filename.txt>

this will back up an ASCII file via TFTP to your desktop.

Thanks all for the replies. I was under the same impression that Baystack will automatically save configuration (periodically after every update) but looks like it didn't. There was a config change and after two month, there was a power outage and switch reboot but it couldn't save the last update and i have to re add the missing vlans. I like to save latest config to NVRAM to avoid such problem in the future.

unfortunately you can't save alternate configs on a 470s, like you can on a cisco switch.

if you want to make backups do what I told you to do. back up the ascii version of the running-config using tftp to your desktop or a server.

or buy a copy of ESM. that will auto-fetch configs from your fleet of switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back