Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Baystack 5510 port mirroring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonks

Technical User
Jun 18, 2001
US
We hare having trouble with port mirroring on one of our 5510's

We can mirroing on port to another no problems however we are unable to mirror two ports to one port.

For exampele <> port x works but

<> port x and <> port y will not

Has anyone experienced this before.

What version of code are you running?
People on this list have said versions in
the 3.x family had quite a few bugs but
I've had good luck with 4.x releases.

I am running version sw4.1.1.12 fw4.1.0.10 Any ideas

Jonks

Are you able to test theses two devices on a Baystack 450 switch?? and all ports running at the same speed/duplex??

Regards

We did run into this, try upgrading the 5510 to version 4.2.1.004 and along with the diag and mirroring worked however we are only able to mirror one port at a time...

My bad didn't read the entire post, we have the same problem with version 4.2.1.004 so it isn't fixed in that version..

dagnaget

We need to mirror two ports on to one. We have tried the latest code for the 5510 and still no luck. If you find some way of getting this working please could you let me know.

You can not mirror 2 ports to 1 unless the 2 ports that you are mirroring have a combined speed less than the monitor port. Well, it will let you configure it, but you won't get most of the packets you need.

The only way that 2-1 will work is the following:

Mirrored ports are 10meg and the monitor port is at 100 or gig.
Mirrored ports are 100meg and the monitor port is at gig.

If all are at gig, then you have no choice but to do 2 captures and compare.

I have tried this and still cannot mirror two ports to one. As soon as i introduce the second port the mirroing stops completely.

Do you guys get the same result if you try the
new many-to-one CLI commands?
port-mirroring mode ManytoOneRx monitor-port 24 mirror-ports 1-10

I'm not sure what version that feature was introduced in,
I've fiddled with it some in my lab at v4.2.1

Antonyanderberg

Thankyou for the above post, I have got port-mirroring mode Many-to-one working using Software 4.3…But, I’m unable to find any release note on this new feature, Arrrrr Nortel doc’s??

Help the Westie

I'm not sure if it is well documented yet, the only reason I found out about it was that I was complaining to my sales engineer one day and he said: doesn't the Many-to-one option work for you guys?. :)
On a related note: I hear that version 5.0 will support ingress and egress many-to-one mirroring so perhaps it will be part of the menu interface and better documented then.

Do you know when Verison 5.0 is due out??

Are Nortel increasing the number of MLT in this Version??

Thanks

Help The Westie

I don't know what their timeline for 5.0 is, I wouldn't count on it being released anytime soon and like anything else I'd hold off deploying it in production until version 5.0.1 or later...

I haven't heard anything about boosting the number of MLT groups or the number of members in an MLT.

Hi,
i am having the same issue but am in the process of implementing a workaround.
I use port mirroring to mirror our IP PBX kit to a voice recording software.worked fine before on cisco's but the problem with Manytoone RX AND TX exists and i run 4.2.2.
for voice recording the solution being applied is using the dual stream from the nortel phone instead of doing a port mirror. the implementation of nortels "Many to One" mirroring is gay.you get either RX OR TX and not both, which would be a mirror! very fishy stuff.I have also been told to, in my case with a 6 switch stack to utilize the <-> to port X on each of the swtiches and truck the port X to a cisco and then mirror those ports to one cisco port but that is a load of crap?
I would recommend at this point in time if you need to do some proper port mirroring use a cisco/extreme switch cos it is run of the mill stuff.........

The ingress-mirroring code must be easier to write in Nortel's environment, I suppose most of the code is setup to process the packets in ingress. I've certainly noticed that other products have had ingress mirroring before they've had egress mirroring (425s before v3.6 and the first generation (pre-E series) 8600 modules come to mind.)

The 5500s have a lot of unused horsepower, I suspect that we'll be seeing a lot of features added/fixed over time - IPFix (netflow) and basic SMLT are things I'm looking forward to.

Having said that I've been impressed with the Extreme switches I've worked with, and certainly wouldn't hesitate recommending them to anyone. I always feel like I'm fighting Cisco switches to get the configuration I want... even with years of Cisco router experience the CLI just doesn't seem to feel right when dealing with dozens of Ethernet ports. But as you say their VLAN mirroring is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back