Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Baystack 470 VLAN Configuration - JDM vs. Web config.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdparker

MIS
Aug 16, 2005
US
I was recently trying to configure some port based VLAN's on a BS470 via JDM 5.8.3.0 and it did not work. After failing intitially, I went to the "Help" in Device Manager and made sure to follow the steps listed and it still failed. I was able to configure them using the browser interface without issue. Has anyone else seen this? I really don't want to configure these switches via the browser interface. Thanks for any insight.

Did it give you any sort of failure? What was the error?

Thanks for responding, Jynxx. No, there was no error message. It acted like it created them fine, but devices within the same vlan could not talk. It acted as though each port were its own seperate vlan. We went over to the web interface and created them and it worked fine.

After moving them to the proper VLAN in DM, did you ensure that the PVID of the ports were changed to match properly?

That could have been it. On the web interface, there is a setting for "AutoPVID". In JDM, does it not do AutoPVID? Even though you assign the members of the vlan, do you have to edit each port and assign the default Vlan id on the Vlan tab??

Of course I'm done now, but will try to recreate it if I can round up a spare 470.

Thanks again!

You are correct in that I am not aware of any way to do AUTOPVID from the JDM interface, however, in addition to web, the more common method to set this is from telnet/console.
In the menu, choose:
-Switch config, VLAN config, VLAN Port Configuration, and set AUTOPVID to ENABLE.

I always do this prior to setting up any ports in existing or new VLANS. I always use JDM/Telnet to configure VLANs/MLT, or anything for that matter.

Ports will default to advertising VLAN1 (or whatever the default VLAN is)unless you change the PVID manually or have AUTOPVID enabled prior to do it for you.

i have come across the same issues with vlans and tagging on a BPS. I find that JDM doesn't give you all the detail as the web gui would ie: QoS etc.

1)create the vlan and the ports associated to it.
"submit" auto pvid.
2) create 2nd vlan and port and "submit" auto pvid and so on.

the check vlan_port_config and make sure that the pvids all match up correctly.

it's frustrating not having a "one-stop shopping" for all configurations.

dualie

Dualie,

I can't agree more. Being forced to use multiple tools should have been a problem resolved years ago, not today.
Shame on Nortel for not adddressing this.

I have having similar problems with Baystack 450-24T's . We have five of them in a stack w/i cables, but the Vlan's seem to be a bear. I have upgraded to the latest software, and am using the console port.
I have checked the pvid's, they seem to be all configured as per -Switch config, VLAN config, VLAN Port Configuration, and set AUTOPVID to ENABLE.

but I only seem to be able to get ONE vlan to work across the stack. All switches are the same latest code as well. Also, what the heck is a Management Vlan, vs. a Non-Management Vlan ?

I am only using the Console port, would love to use the Boss v3 software, but don't have it. As well I think only the Baystack 470's have the web interface.

Any ideas ?

Les Elton
Network Admin.

Management vlan is a vlan from which you can manage the switch, i.e telnet into it. What do you mean by "per-Switch" ? You should be able to assign vlans for all switches from the base switch.

Do they show up as a stack in the config?

peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back