Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Baystack 450T + Port is up BUT no IP possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tpm73

Technical User
Nov 26, 2003
GB
Hello,

nortel baystack 450T (1 stack - 2 switch cascade) - pc 100MB/Full - SwitchPort: 100MB/Full - Spanning Tree - Port: FastLearning

the most time the pc´s run well on all ports... but sometimes, a pc on one port which was running without any error for some hours, lose it´s IP connection/address and can´t get any IP address via DHCP... also not after a pc reboot... but the switch port is UP

if this error occurs, and you switch the pc to a other port it runs also ok... switch it back --> not ok

the next day it could be that the pc runs again ok on the "old" switch port...

so ??? do anyone have any idea?

thanks a lot...
martin.

I would suggest that the port may be broken, or something in between the pc and the port, i.e the cable.
I suppose youve tried different cables in the same port, so Id say that the port isnt working properly.
Is it always the same port thats giving you problems?

-Cheers, Niklas

it´s not always the same port... and the next day the same port works well... i tried already other patch cables, ...
i had the same problem in the meantime with 3 printers
(10MB/Half duplex)... and with another pc (100MB/Full duplex)

so ???

Hi.

Okay, so time to check the switch stack.
What fw and sw versions are you running? 4.2.0.22 is the version Im using I think. Or maybe thats the 420s, anyways, check so that youre not using too old SW. Do you have this problem on other switches as well? Try just using one of the switches, to make sure it isnt the stacking modules that are malfunctioning. I would suggest updating your software, and if that doesnt work, try using another switch.
Not sure if I helped anything but... =)

-Cheers, Niklas

It would be good to find out what version of the code you are using. Also what OS your PCs are running and if your DHCP server is directly connected to the stack.

I've had a similar problem to this with version 4.0. Are the servers on the same stack as the PC(s) affected or are they connected to another stack? If so do you connect the stack by a MLT?

AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back