Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Baystack 450 switch as a hub?!? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Jun 26, 2001
PT
I have 2 x 24 port Baystack 10 baseT hubs on a Lan. Port space is running out and I've recieved a Baystack 450-24T switch. Can I install it essentially as a 3rd hub?
Untech I sound...untechy I am!
I appreciate your wisdom.

Yes, If it has factory defaults (brand new) it should appear to function as a hub.

However, I would connect both hubs to the 450 and let it be th top of the "tree".

hi
yes you can connect the the 450 switch to the exiting hubs but you should the follwoing:
1- leave one port in your existing hub without connention .and connect this port with any port in the 450 switch through cross cable.
2- now connet the user which was in hub to switch.
3-recommaned if put the new switch in the top of tree.
amr ibrahim
data system engineer

Anyone know how to configure a managment port on a Nortel Switch?

I disagree, BayStack 450s have enabled by default certain characteristics like IGMP Snooping and hubs don't have anything like that.

Yes, If it has factory defaults (brand new) it should appear to function as a hub.

However, I would connect both hubs to the 450 and let it be th top of the "tree".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back