Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Baystack 450 Password Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJammer

IS-IT--Management
Mar 3, 2004
US
I've come across a Baystack 450 at work and need to install it in a closet to replace some old hubs. I can't get into the menus because of the initial password after POST. Any ideas on how to remove this password?
I have the cover off and can't see any visible jumpers to manipulate to clear any cmos chips.
Thanks!

gunfighter claims this works on early 350s and 450s
Try This,
Power off , wait about 30 seconds, Power on...
Within 15 seconds type : NetICs<cr>
You will then be in enable mode... You should be able to retrieve the password from the security menu.

(that is an eye in NetICs not an ell)

dtjsubs offers this for the 450s: This is what I have done in the past. Place the switch (with the unknown password) in a stack with a Switch You DO have the password for, Making the 'known password switch' the 'master' (this controlled by a selector on the cascade module). Then reset the whole stack to Default Settings, this will remove the unknown password and all your config also! So you will have to rebuild your Config.

Frid4y says "The "new" versions I believe require the same thing as the 450 switches, which is call tech support and give them your MAC address for them to create a password."

Hope one of the first two works for you so you don't have to go to Nortel, if not, it is a minor fee..

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Thanks for the info Jimbo.
I've already tried the NetICs approach but it didn't seem to work. Maybe I'm doing this wrong....are you supposed to type this during the POST, or are you supposed to type this at the Cntrl+Y login?
Thanks again.

dtjsubs has the right idea, we do the same thing and it works everytime.

your best bet is to put it in a stack. NetICs is entered at the pasword prompt, after CTRL-Y. Probably not likely but try the default password which I think is secure? I know the read-only is user.

As many know the NetICs password does not work on newer models. Putting the problem switch in a stack will not work either if the firmware and software are not the same. The only way that I found, was to contact Nortel. The first person you get to tells you that it will be $300.00 an hour with a 2-hour minimum. DON'T DO IT. Ask them to transfer you to contracts and believe it or not you can get support on your switch (unlimited phone, and software upgrades) for only $50.00. I could not believe it. I had given up hope. It only took about 30 minutes for them to set the whole thing up. Give Adrianne Olivares at 831.440.4334 and she will fix you up.

Damn the Man!

The BPS2000 has a default password, The OpteraMetro1000 has a default password and they are the same.. maybe your's has a default password too... The password could be: secure. Try it...

InDenial

The 450-24T has a default password of 'secure' as well, but they had changed the password to something else. After Nortel gave me the backdoor password, I could see what the password was. Good thing, I would have never guessed it.

Damn the Man!

*whew*

Man, I'm glad I came across this site! You all got me out of a jam! Many thanks! (needed default password)

'secure' worked for my BPS2000...

Hey there,
Hyperterminal to the box, powercycle the box and press cntrl-c during the diags. follow the cmd line and type "i" for initaliaze and then "a" run agent code.
the switch will reboot to factory defaults and voila! No password needed.
regards
dualie

IcePirate:

Did you try using the "backdoor password" that nortel gave you on any other switches. What was the password that nortel gave you?

BTW, I just spoke with Adrianne and you are correct, but the thing is, is that you have to buy a $50 contract for each switch.

-Rob

Here's another way you can defeat the password, once again depending of the version of code you're running.

Download a new config file to the switch from JDM...(Java Device Manager)...and it will wipe out the password. It may set the password to the default. The default password is secure.

NetICs is was mainly used for the BS 350 line, but it will work for older versions of BS 450 code. You must power clear the switch and enter the password within 60 seconds of seeing the prompt to enter Ctrl Y.

Newer versions require calling Nortel with the MAC address of the switch. They have an algoritm they run on the MAC which produces a backdoor password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back