Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BayStack 450-24T 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

master007

Technical User
Jan 4, 2003
HR
I was bought BayStack 450-24T over e-bay, but, I don't know what's it IP adress. It working OK, but I don't configure it. Have it factory reset or some similary? Comm port also doesn't work. Thank you

If the comm port does not work then you are a bit stuck. Have you got the right pin-outs for the console cable, and also the right speed set.

To check whether the port is working, connect the console cable to the 450, run hyper terminal @ 9600 8 1 none settings and power off and on the switch. You should see the POST tests running on screen. If not then the console cable is incorect or you have the wrong settings or the port is stuffed.

If you do see the tests performed, at the end of them to login you sometimes need to do a CTRL Y or CTRL R to get into the main menu, you can then alter the IP settings from there. If alll this fails then I suggest you go back to the person you brought it off and ask them for the IP details and password if one one was set

Hope this helps

You can get a console cable that works with that switch from Radio Shack. Part number is 26-152b.

I'm having the same problem on my 450-24T. When I open up the cosole session, I get nothing but a blank screen. It shows I'm connected, but it's all blank. I've tried some of the various key combos I've seen on this forum (Ctrl-Y. Ctrl-W etc) but they don't work either. I've also seen reference that the console cable that came with my Cisco equipment will not work for this switch. Is that correct? If so, what kind of cable do I need? Is it just that Cisco uses a roll-over, and Nortel uses a straight through? I've doubled checked all my terminal settings (9600 8 1 none Xon/Xoff etc) so I'm sure they're ok. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The console port on the Nortel 450's are known to "fall asleep". Using a straight through cable and hitting the control y should fix it. Try using the console cable to a different device first to see if it works there. Otherwise a reboot of the switch should give you the same results.

Thank you all of them, it's work. I use one to one pin cable, this is a modem cable, and Hyperterminal from Win98.

Ok. I got mine working as well. Thanks for all the tips/suggestions. All I did was use a regular CAT5 patch cable (for my straight-through cable) and it worked.

Try conso;e cable with configuration of 2,3,5 PIN CONFIGURATION ON BOTH SIDES AND THAT TOO STRIGHT.mEANS 2 GOES TO 2 3 TO 3 AND 5 TO 5.
tHEN ALSO IF ITS NOT WORKING THEN CHECK WITYH YOUR MANUAL FOR HYPERTERMINAL SETTINGS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back