Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

baystack 450-24T password recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

silks101

Technical User
Apr 28, 2003
GB
I have a couple of switches that I need to put out to one of our sites - the guy who originally had this job has now left and I'm left with 2 switches I cannot access - noone knows the password.

I can get in useing the default password (but this is obviously only read only access).

Is there a way of resetting the password for the switch so that we can gain access and get them configured?

Many thanks in advance

gunfighter claims this works
Try This,
Power off , wait about 30 seconds, Power on...
Within 15 seconds type : NetICs<cr>
You will then be in enable mode... You should be able to retrieve the password from the security menu.

dtjsubs offers this: This is what I have done in the past. Place the switch (with the unknown password) in a stack with a Switch You DO have the password for, Making the 'known password switch' the 'master' (this controlled by a selector on the cascade module). Then reset the whole stack to Default Settings, this will remove the unknown password and all your config also! So you will have to rebuild your Config.

Frid4y says &quot;The &quot;new&quot; versions I believe require the same thing as the 450 switches, which is call tech support and give them your MAC address for them to create a password.&quot;

Hope one of the first two works for you so you don't have to go to Nortel.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

gunfighter claims this works on early 350's and 450's
Try This,
Power off , wait about 30 seconds, Power on...
Within 15 seconds type : NetICs<cr>
You will then be in enable mode... You should be able to retrieve the password from the security menu.

dtjsubs offers this for the 450s: This is what I have done in the past. Place the switch (with the unknown password) in a stack with a Switch You DO have the password for, Making the 'known password switch' the 'master' (this controlled by a selector on the cascade module). Then reset the whole stack to Default Settings, this will remove the unknown password and all your config also! So you will have to rebuild your Config.

Frid4y says &quot;The &quot;new&quot; versions I believe require the same thing as the 450 switches, which is call tech support and give them your MAC address for them to create a password.&quot;

Hope one of the first two works for you so you don't have to go to Nortel, but you may have to pay a service fee to Nortel.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Here is the deal on Nortel 450-24T password recovery. Power Up the switch and when the console port prompts for the password, enter NetICs (this is case sensitive). Don't bother going to the password page to see what the secret password was, and to change it because this won't stop a request for the password on the next boot. Instead, in the main menu choose &quot;Reset to Default Settings&quot;. The switch won't ask you for a password anymore. Reset the switch, if it didn't already give you the Control-Y screen again (depends on SW version).

I have the same problem as the 1st user has posted. I tried the NetICs password, no go....and I tried connecting the switches in a stack, they don't seem to &quot;link&quot; together(reset simultaneously). I looked in the &quot;Display Hardware units&quot; on a switch that I can log into and there are no errors when the stack is connected. Does anything else have to be done to connect the stack in the firmware?
I called Nortel and they want $300 per instance. I am just trying to re-sell 3 of them which are password protected.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

I tried the stack method to reset the PW. My stack doesn't recognize the locked switches I think because they are running FW v1.44 and SW v2.0.0.28. My &quot;good&quot; switches have v4 code. If you have v2 code on hand, PLS share! Thanks in advance and happy holidays!

i have also 2 baystack 450-24T with troubs.... first i miss that in term doesn't work "BACKSPACE" key... so i send 255.25.5.... as netmask
next one... i set 1/1-1/24 on vlanid 1 and and 2/5-2/8 ports on vlanid2
so i don't have set ANY PASSWORD, they works but i cannot manag then neither through Device manager (telnet) neither using db9 cable, very strange using this cable, i don't have any kind of response ftom Hyperterm, or any minicom apps
any 1 could help me?

Did anyone of you try the 470 switch pw recovery method on your 450 switches with newer SW code?

Press Ctrl + C a few times during initial boot process until a prompt appears.
Then type "i", <CR>.
Then type "a", <CR>. (I forgot if CR is needed or not...)

Then the switch will be reset to factory-default.

Try this when every known recovery method does't work on your switch.

i try it but does not work...:( term remain as i didn't touch any key... i use two cables, thinkin' one it's bad or kinds
my SW version is v.3.1.0.22

i purchased a used nortel passport 6400 and am trying to get in via the console port to check it out, but I think it has a username and password that was set from a previous owner. I have some familiarity with other nortel products but not this one and was wondering if anyone had a backdoor/recovey procedure for getting into this thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back