Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Baystack 450-24t not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

chat1410

Technical User
Apr 30, 2008
US
I recently acquired this switch, I know it's IP (10.1.16.21), however I don't know the password. It has no doubt been configured (ONLY ports 1,2,4,5 do 100 Mb/s). I've plugged in a straight through serial cable (using a gender changer on one end).
I've configured HyperTerminal to:
9600 bits per second
8 data bits
no parity
1 stop bits
no flow control
VT100 Emulation (ASCII char. set)

My problem is, on boot, I can see the switch POST and it tells me to enter ctrl-Y to begin. However, it's unresponsive. I know it should go to a password prompt, because that's what it does when I telnet in over ethernet (but I can't reset the switch over ethernet).

I've read through this thread thread1361-1077284: Nortel Baystack Switch 450-24T and tried everything I could, including changing the buffer stuff.

Please help.

Sounds like a bad cable to me. Just ran into this recently.

Signature===========================================
Artificial Intelligence Is No Match for Natural Stupidity.

The latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Red meat is not bad for you, it is the green fuzzy meat that is bad.

I've had the same issues from time to time with HyperTerminal. You can see the output but nothing is being transmitted. I would try a different terminal program (or perhaps just cold boot your PC to help resolve any issues with your COM port). If that doesn't work try to test you COM port (and cable) on another switch or serial device.

Here's how a blog post on factory reseting a Nortel BayStack 450 switch;

There are also a ton of posts here at Tek-Tips and elsewhere on the net (Google is your friend).

Cheers!

HyperTerminal is notorious for these kind of problems, but fear not - in addition to SSH and telnet the latest version of PuTTY can act as a serial terminal.

I just bought a female to female cable from Radioshack and it works great. Thanks for everyone's help!

Try to use Token2, ProCom Plus, Putty or Tera Term Pro. Check your COM port number (if you use USB - Serial adapter) and check your serial cable (you need to use the Pin-to-Pin cable, NO the Null Modem Cable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back