Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bay Networks Model 28115/ADV help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmoureD

Technical User
Nov 19, 2002
AU
Hello

I just purchased the Bay Networks 28115/ADV switch.

It looks like a good switch, but i'm having a few problems. If someone can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.
The problems are:

1. When I turn on the switch the LINK, HSP and PART led's for ALL ports light up even tho no cables are connected. (According to the manual, PART = disabled from software)

2. I made a console cable the same way the manual illistrates, but I cannot connect to the switch through Hyperterminal.

Is there a way I can restore the factory defaults without going into the console?

How can I confirm that the console cable is working as I am not 100% sure I did it correctly

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S, Nortel sucks, the only way to request tech support is by being a member, and your company has to be registered with nortel beforehand. :(

I am told the Win 2k hyperterminal is defective and on NT4 I find that the settings I choose THIS session only take effect NEXT session, so you have to quit and restart a lot to find the right speed settings

should point you to the directorys with all tha manuals

ftp://ftp-support.baynetworks.com/pub/swcode/28000/28k/
should be the software

I am not aware of anything else that uses the same cable, so I don't know how to test it. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

How about reseting the factory default settings without going into the console?

I think console cable is a serial to serial 1-1 cable.

When you try to connect be sure that you use this settings in your terminal application
none
Hardware

In response to delcebo, when I console to my 28115, I use
none
Xon/Xoff
Maybe different since my switch is just a plain 28115, from around '97. Just something to try if his settings don't work.
Boss Godfrey

Cable.

You mention that Nortel sucks so we assume that you use cisco.

Here is what we use.
1. Use the standard boring 9 pin RJ45 to 9 pin adapter that you use on Cisco with a standard staight through patch cord.
2. Hyperterm.
3. Ctrl P is for main menu. Do not remember hitting any special keys.

Manually reboot the switch and see if there are any messages. Can not help with the three LEDs unless they are all active because every port was disabled.

I just found it what the problem is, on the mainboard one of the IC's is carbonised. I'm asuming that is how I brought it because its dusty.
The arsehole who sold it to me doesnt exchange or refund, because on Ebay Australia he stated, "The item has been tested and works, but is sold AS IS".
Tested my arse, I paid $86 excluding shiping and handling for this heavy ship anchor.

Thanks for your help guys.

ewww, I hope that was Austrailain dollars because it is not worth $30 in USD I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Your Nortel sucks comment is not necessary and not true.

When you buy discontinued/EOL gear from eBay, you get what you pay for. The 28115/ADV was phased out 4 years ago.

Have you tried getting information from Cisco via the web? It's not free.

Your console cable should be configured this way, assuming you are using a DB-9 Female "Mod-Tap"

Pin Color

2 Yellow
3 Orange
5 Green

Voila!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back