Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Battery Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyblue

Technical User
Jun 10, 2002
US
to prevent losing the BIOS info when replacing the battery.. is it possible to replace the battery while the PC is running? (don't worry about me getting a shock, i'm accustomed to it.. hehheh)
thanks,
eric

Yeah. You'll not get shocked, highest potential is less than 30 volts. But you can fry stuff if you drop the battery or wear a watch or ring. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

edfair,

I thougt the CMOS would hold a charge for about 30 minutes after you remove the battery anyway, no?

On most systems, changing the battery won't clear the cmos, it's got a capacitor which keeps the charge. I would turn off the system when changing it just to be on the safe side...

ok, thanks.. seems the systems i have yanked a battery on lost the bios info before i could turn it back on. just wanted to make sure pulling the battery while it was on wouldn't cause something else to pop due to the open circuit. thanks,
eric

y2k1981,
Yeah, most of the time it will hold up, but there are some that won't.
My personal choice is get the setup on hardcopy, then reset the stuff, but that is primarily due to my innate ability to fry stuff. Some have it, others don't. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

ok.. just to let you all know...
i pulled the battery, put the new one in.. took about 5 seconds...

rebooted and it took me automatically into the Bios... anything that i had previously altered, including the date and time was reset to the bios defaults.

i think when you guys say it doesn't change, you must mean the 'default' that is hardcoded into the cmos doesn't change.. but all the custom config was lost immediately.

fortunately i didn't change that much and it was easy just to reconfig it.

i think from now on i'll swap the battery with the pc running. thanks,
eric

Nah, you got bit by one that didn't hold up. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back