Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Battery Reconditioning with Dell OpenManage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leanne

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2002
GB
I'm running an NT 4 Server, and my Event log is telling me I need to recondition my controller battery. The management software we have installed is Dell OpenManage. (I hate this, btw. I find it really cumbersome to use and the documentation doesn't seem to fit what I'm seeing on the screen.) When I open my Array Manager Console and go into my Controllers, I can see a PERC 3/DI Controller 0 (AFA0) listed. When I check the properties for that it says "Battery Status: OK" and my Recondition button is greyed out. Yet the Events tab in that area is showing me multiple warnings that the battery needs reconditioning, and the warning keeps showing up in my events log.

Can anyone help? Am I doing something wrong?

And is there another controller software program out there that is cheap (or preferrably free!)?

Thanks in advance.

Leanne

Do you have FAST also. THis is what I use to recondition the batteries on my Poweredge servers. Its a PERC utility.

Can you tell me where I can find FAST and any info on it? All the Dell documentation seems to point to OpenManage, and I'm having a really tough time with it.

Thanks for your help.

Leanne,

I assume you are talking about the Dell Perc2Fast menu? You should be able to follow these instructions to access. If you can not locate you may need to call Dell to ask them. I know on my system the program is located here

(1) Start==>Programs==>Dell PERC2Fast
(2) On the left hand side, the following should be highlighted “My Computer on (Domain Name)
(3) On the right hand side, the following should be highlighted, “Controller AFA0”
(4) Click on “Open” and reply, “Yes” to message. This will start the function of recharging the battery in the Dell 4400 Server

· This is a normal recharge of battery function that will prompt us every 6 – 8 months to run.
· No Reboot is required.

It looks like I don't have this. :-( I've got nothing but OpenManage apparently.

I think there's something wrong with my OpenManage as well. It's what is generating my Vxsvc.exe error (mentioned in another thread) and now it's giving me battery reconditioning messages but not allowing me the option to recondition.

I think I'm going to have to call Dell on this one.

Thanks so much for all the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back