Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Battery Life Win2000 vs WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

focusdchaos

Technical User
Mar 10, 2003
US
Are there any appreciable diffrences in battery life on idential system running Win2000 Pro vs WinXP Pro? If running XP, Visual Effects will be set to Max Performance settings.

Machine in question is 1ghz/256mb RAM HP Omnibook 510

I'm not certain, but I would say no. Not enough to be concered about at least. I do believe that XP, with the video setting maxed, would use more processing power and in turn lessen you batterly life, but I doubt that it would be enough to be concerned about.

I have setup a few Compaq nc8000s, nc6000s, and IBM X series notebooks, amongst others, in the last few weeks. Some of these laptops were imaged with 2000pro, others, with XP pro. I never noticed any real difference.

If batterly life is truely a prime concern, I'd get a second battery just to be on the safe side

Hope this helps

Good Luck!

XP with its extras turned on would be slightly more demanding on your CPU than Win2K set at its default settings.

However, the beauty of going with XP is that you can tailor the interface to match the old Win2K style. In addition, XP has a longer lifespan of support left.

In all honesty, I doubt battery life should be your main concern since there will be very little difference between OS's. Instead, focus on what you plan on doing with your laptop. XP has tighter DirectX integration than Win2K in many areas. For office work, that doesn't matter. For multimedia, it can make a huge diference.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Thanks. I didn't think there would be much diffrence.

I run my WinXP boxen at home with the Windows 2000 style them, Max Performance on Visual Effects. System is so much snappier that way.

By using more memory and/or a processor option for a larger CPU Cache you might lessen the requirement for virtual memory swapping on the hard drive. I think this is the concept behind a Centrino.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Centrino is just a lower-voltage CPU altogether, with a completely revamped architecture. Increased cache/memory might be part of the bigger picture, but the Centrino by itself is a slimmed down version of a standard CPU which retains a good portion of its performance.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back