Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Batch Upload/Import of bridged extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaeP2R

Technical User
Feb 2, 2016
US
All
-
I may be wording this question incorrectly - I have worked to import some information to phone when there is a huge volume, but recently we have moved a large group of executive admins to a new building and some weirdness took place where labels and extensions were lost [even though back-ups were completed] - what I was wondering if it were possible to ...

1. batch import extensions to mods
2. place personal labels on extensions [the first of the two bridge appearances]

At the moment I have about 10 executive admins dreading having to update all the labels as they have more than 2 mods in most cases.
---
Thank you
Jae

You would need to make sure the new building has access to the same ftp or http phone file backup folder (defined in the 46xxsettings.txt file) and that the .txt file for each extension was backed up before the move and restored after the move.

PhonesAllDay

@PhonesAllDay
It was a painful lesson to learn, but yes .. the backup was crucial.
Is there a way to batch upload [import?] extensions AND add the labels? Instead of the admins having to do that manually?
------
Jae

If you are referring to moving the extensions to a different PBX and re-creating them, you can use the existing labels from the text files and move them to the same 46xxsettings.txt file ftp/http backup location the new building points to.

As far as creating the stations in ASA you can create a template based on an existing station and then use Excel cut/paste extensions and user names to ASA "import data" to that station template.

For this to work you will need to group phones with similar set types and button label layouts. You can do this by exporting stations and sorting by type and create a template for each type.

If every button type on every phone is unique, then not sure if there is a way to export unique buttons and re-import them without the Provision tool.

There are a variety of ways the phone labels can be preserved.

First off, you shouldn't be losing the labels. Assuming you are on CM5.2.1 or higher, are not changing extensions, and you are talking about IP Phones, the labels should be retained. If not you might want to verify the service pack you are on. The command 'display button-labels <extension>' should show you what CM received from the phone for labels.

Secondly, the backup for the IP Phones should be on an HTTP server (such as the Utility Server) so you can download a copy of the backup file so you can always restore. If you upload the backup file to the HTTP server you then go into the phone and perform a restore which should bring the button labels back.

The third option is to utilize a USB2.0 stick to backup the phone settings. You can insert it after the move and should be prompted to restore.

Thank you both, JimboJimbo and PhonesAllDay
-
I did end up having to use the USB solution for when I found out that although they backed up their phones before moving .. they did not ensure that all things were working and then they backed up nothing to their phones [shrug].

Actually, let me see if I can word this better ...
-
When we get an admin that has two or three mods full of extensions - and they move, or the list of extensions change ...
I was wondering if it would be possible to use the Import Data feature to import the extensions to the mods - AND - to be able to apply the label.

This would save all of us a good amount of time instead of having to sit at each admin desk and manually do all of that ..
------
Jae

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back