Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Batch File in NT4 Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jensenaw

MIS
Jul 24, 2003
SG
I have a batch file that runs when I log in to any Win98 machine. However, when i log in to a Win2k machine, the batch file does not run. The batch file is located in the c:\winnt\system32\repl\import\scripts folder on my NT4 server(PDC). How do I get the batch file to run on all clients(win98,me,2k)?

hi,

If your win2k machin is in the domain then you can run the login scripts which are stored in c:\winnt\system32\repl\import\scripts directory of your PDC . but your will have to give the path for login script in user properties while creating a user or after creating a a user.

Refer this link for more information

Aslam

When you say doesn't run - do you mean not at all, or doesn't do what you expect? (dos/command prompt commands can run differently under 2k and 98 - so it might be the content of the batch file that's causing the problem. Can you run it on the 2k machine (after logging in?)

The batch file does not start at all. However, if I log in to the network and manually click on the file, it runs without any problems. No problems on the mapping of network drives and printers.

Is this just the one user? Is it on all 2k machines? I've seen no problems running the login scripts on different versions of windows - so am thinking its probably an issue with the user account or a particular machine.

It sounds like it might be the user account. Are you sure a script is assigned to that user?
Are there BDC's in this domain? If there are, are you sure the script are being replicated to all BDCs. The Win2K might be getting authentication from a BDC that does not have the script.
The point is that the win98 and win2k machines look at the same place on a NT4 server for a logon script when one is assigned.

What u guys mean by assigning a script to that user? How do I do the assigning? I thgt that when I synchronize the PDC with the domain, the script should be synchronized to other BDC as well?

Hi

Your Q:What u guys mean by assigning a script to that user?

Open the user manager, open user properties, select profile
and enter logon script name....

I did that. If not, how will the script runs when I login to a Win98 machine?

You put the scripts in the NETLOGON share, which is c:\winnt\system32\repl\import\scripts. Same path except \export\scripts for it to scyn with all BDC. You could just check your BDC's NETLOGON shares to make sure the script is there. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back