Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Batch Convert from bitmap to jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdrew00

Technical User
Jan 29, 2004
I created an action to open, save as jpeg in other folder, but its not converting. any ideas??

Did you set up mode/color conversions in the action? Image menu/Mode. For jpeg, you're probably going to want Grayscale, RGB or CMYK.

will that effect it just resaving the image as a jpeg???

As far as I know, jpeg will not support the bitmap color mode. It does support grayscale and RGB. It supports CMYK now but that is used more in tiffs and eps than jpegs.

so i need to set it to rgb to work?

I tried the image mode, but it was already in rgb, and when i create the action it lets me save as jpeg, but when i run it it just saves the rest of them as bitmaps, and keeps duplicating the original picture

If I am understanding correctly, you probably did not use the "Override Action" Commands in the Batch dialog window. You need to have those boxes checkmarked for the file to save. Otherwise you are saving the same file ontop of the last one.

Good luck, hope that helps
:)

when i do that the "save as" dialog box pops up, and doesn't give jpeg as a saving option

when i stop the action after the dialog box, the image mode is indexed instead of rgb, but when i just open the files they open in rgb

If you're importing bitmaps, as in .bmp, the Mode should show Bitmap or indexed color. unless you have changed the mode in the graphic. Yu might have done that when you opened it. When you open the bmp, make sure you select Leave As Is,

Make sure the pics are all in one folder. When click on the script and get the window, try checking everything except All subfolders, unless you recorded the Open in the script.

What I do to fix that problem is, set up the save option within the Action. So you start with opening the file, recording actions, do all steps for alteration, and then save the file as jpg, and close the window. Stop your action then, when you go to Batch, everything is set for you. Make sure that in your action you convert the image from bitmap, because it will hang up on that if you do not. After doing thousands of batches, and learning the hard way.. :) I can honestly say, it does work!

ok, let me lay this out, because its still not working, I have about 30 .bmp files in a folder, i want to convert them to jpegs, so what i do is this, i click record, open the folder, pick the first file, click save as and select jpeg, then i stop recording, when i run batch i select the source folder, and a destination folder different from the source, when i click go the original picture i did the action on keeps reappearing, but the other files keep saving, but they are saving as .bmp, not jpeg, only the original file i converted when creating the action saves as a jpeg.

Don't click Record right away. Open 1 bmp from the folder - without changing its mode or colors in the Open dialog - Leave as Is.

Click Record and do mode changes, anything else, Save As jpeg, pick quality, and Save. Stop recording. Run script, on the script window, selct the overides and run.

thanks guys, it finally came together, but there were about five pics that i had to save as psd manually during the batch because the color mode was indexed, but i appreciate all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back