Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basing timeline progression on movie clip

Status
Not open for further replies.

quaker93

Technical User
Jun 28, 2006
US

Okay what I'm trying to do seems pretty simple, but I just can't seem to make it work. I am using Flash MX v.6.0
I have a movie clip on the first frame of the scene which I want to loop while it loads a heavier interactive loading screen. I want the loop to play to continually play until the next frame is loaded. But AT LEAST ONCE. That's the part I'm getting hung-up on. If I just have put the movie clip down it will keep looping until it move on, but I don't know how to make it go through all the way if it loads faster than one loop. I've tried setting a variable = 0 at the beginning and then setting = 1 at then end in the movie clip and then using a check on that variable to move to the next frame, but it doesn't seem to work. A trace action that I put in seems to indicate that it is checking for that variable once (before it's even declared in the movie clip) and that's all.
I hope this makes sense. Does anyone have any advice to give. I'm sure there is some simple function or something that I could use, but I'm just familiar enough with Flash.

thanks!
Tim

Kenneth,
Thanks for looking at this. I think one of the fundamental problems I'm having is that the actionScript in the frame where I'm looping my small animation does not continually keep rechecking. I'm open to any other methodologies for achieving what I'm trying to get. I've been banging my head against this wall for too long now.
Here is an .fla file with basic structure and actionScripts along with some dummy images slugged in to similate the heavier loads

thanks! :)
Tim

Well it looks like I found a workaround. Seems like a little of a hack but it works. I just copied my looping animation into the main scene and inserted before everything else. Then put an instance of the movie clip that contains the same animation in the next frame. Now it plays through once then the movie clip loops until the next frame loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back