Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basics of PageMaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

schikore

Technical User
Jan 29, 2002
US
Is there somewhere I can go to ask simple, basic questions? I am a new user of PageMaker and am having trouble even getting started (following the manual doesn't seem to produce the stated results). I'm an experienced user of Microsoft Publisher and others, but this one has me stymied. I'm also new to Tek-Tips and I'm not sure I belong here at all.

Hi

You can always go to the adobe site, but here you can ask questions as much as you want. It is easyer for us if you have a specific question.

hope this helps
grillhouse

go to amazon.com and do a search on adobe pagemaker books - there's several good ones, including PM6 "At-a-Glance" - they have lots of stuff for novices to experienced.

schikore

It does help us if you have specific questions. What is it that you are hoping to accomplish with PM? PM is a professional desktop publishing application that is designed to give you the maximum amount of creative elbow room to design professional publications. It is not a graphics program such as Illustrator or Photoshop, which are geared towards making the graphical elements that will be used in the PM pub. PM is used mostly for layout and adding text, and hence does not have the constraints that MS products place on you in the guise of making their products dummy proof. However, PM does have a learning curve.

I have 2 questions for PM7.01.
1. How do I set a default directory to which PM7.01 opens every time? It currently opens to the last directory PM visited.
2. Orientation of printed docs on my HP2000 are backwards from PM6.5 (bottom of page spits out of printer first). Is there a way to orient page like PM6.5?

Hi,

On your first question the answer is that you can't do that. It is not a question of PM, it's a question of the OS
Your second question is neither related to PM it is a question of your printer and printer driver. If your printer can change that go to the HP-site and see if there are some solutions for your printer.

Hope it helps
grillhouse

The printshop is telling us that it is not possible to send us a text version of the PageMaker docs. Is this true or does file>export>text function in PageMaker create a document that can be opened in Word.

Thanks for the help!

jubilee,

file>export>text will convert the block to a text format that can be placed in Word or in a txt file.

in the future, please post your question only once in the forum, as multiple posts will confuse the thread, spread out the replies and make it more difficult for other users in the future that are looking for an answer to a similar question. It can also lead to you getting flamed. Not that I would ever flame anybody.... :) When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

I'm trying to place a caption under a graphic of a scanned photo that is saved as a TIFF. I work on a church newsletter. I have an article to place around a photo. How do I get my article text to wrap around the photo and a caption that appears underneath the photo? If I group the graphic and caption together, text wrap doesn't work? If I don't group them, I can't get the caption to stay where I want it, and article text flows over the caption.

Okay.. under the photo make a text block the width of the photo and group them. now select that object and choose text wrap. Make a separate text block for the main text. it should wrap without problem. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

That's what I did. But for some reason, when I group the Tiff graphic and the text box caption underneath I lose the ability to click on the group and have Text Wrap available.

Help!

How did you place the TIFF? I tried it out and it worked fine. I am using Pm6.52 on Win98, placed the TIF using the place command, and added text, grouped the 2. Then I typed new text, then wrapped it using the 2nd option in the wrap options.. and it wrapped fine.

Are you doing anything different? When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Rickijazz,
I'd like to offer my answer your question #1: How do I set the default directory that PM opens every time? This is a Windows solution: I have PM and my other Adobe products set up as short cuts in a directory on my Desktop. Right click the PM icon (or any other program you wish to do this to) and go to Properties. In the Properties box, go to the Shortcut Tab. On the Shortcut dialog box, look for the Start-Up line and enter the default (start-up) directory you want to always start-up in. In my case, that directory is O:\15c\Data . When I launch PM, it always looks in my target (O:\15c\Data) directory first. This solution is almost universal in Windows. But, there are some programs where you have you have to set the default directory internally thru their own Properties dialog. If you are using MAC, I can't offer a solution, but I imagine the process is similar. I hope this helps. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back