Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic XML Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsanto17

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2005
US
This forum seems a bit more advanced for what i am looking to do but i figured i would give it a shot.

I need to create an xml file to submit data to a company. they are not providing any help on how to create the xml. they just gave us a sample xml file and an xsd file.

The data will be comming from multiple data sources.

I just need someone to point me in the right direction on how i can create an xml file.

I was thinking of getting all my data into an excel file and then exporting to excel. but if i do that the elements will not match.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

Thanks

nick

Wow. This is a wide open question.

Will your data be changing often? Does your XML need to change "on the fly" when the original data file changes?

I'd really try to avoid solutions that require a human, most likely you, to have to maintain the file. If a human is absolutely required, you want the maintenance procedures to be as self documenting as possible.

Excel is most likely not your best solution. That's a spread sheet, intended for doing calculations, not pure data entry.

I think a database would be a far better bet, and many database software packages now include an XML export. Name your fields with the tags in the sample XML and your export should have the correct tags. You can label the fields on your data entry forms anything you want, and even add extra labels to guide future users (or yourself when returning to the project after doing something else for months or years).

Any chance of an explanation of your data/document flow?

I know it wide open but i did not know where to start. Thank you for responding.

This file will have to be done on a quarterly basis so the data will not change that often.

We have to submit a bunch of different information that i can dump it all into excel and them create the xml file that way. Whats the best way to create the xml using excel. I am thinking i need to reference the xsd file somewhere.

Excel is not a particularly simple way to create an XML file. It takes more steps than doing it directly. If your data is coming from a database, you can probably export it directly as an XML file.

Otherwise, if you're comfortable using any programming language to read and write files, it won't be difficult for you at all. Go to faq426-6460 and follow one of the links to a tutorial. Ask questions here if you need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back