Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

basic OS 9/X Qs

Status
Not open for further replies.

QUADPUMP

Technical User
Nov 16, 2002
US

Hi

1- how do you ck for installed patches on a mac and what is the required OS patch for OS9 ?

2- same Q for OS 10.

3- If i were to boot from CD to scan for viruses, how would i do that?

what are some useful utils for a mac tech? (already have norton a/v and utils)

1. Updates to OS 9 can be downloaded and installed using the Software Update Control Panel.

2. On OS X use the Software Update system preference.

Both of these can be accessed from the Apple Menu in the top of the screen.

3. In order to boot from a CD on a Mac, hold down the C key on the keyboard as the computer is booting up. You have to do it before it starts the process of booting from the harddrive. As an alternative to the C key method you can change startup disk from the startup disk control panel (or system preference if you are currently booted into OS X).

In addition to Norton, I like DiskWarrior for disk problems.
Where Norton Disk Doctor is able to fix some day to day problems, DiskWarrior has the ability to repair drives with directory problems that most utilities can't touch. TechTool Pro is good all round utility since it checks both hardware and some software problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back