Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic Linux specks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dicktttt

Technical User
Dec 3, 2003
US
I would like to know:

Does linux break the 640 memory barrier?

Does linux support hard drives greater than 132 gig? (Win98 barrier)

Dick

Yes, and yes.

The 640KB memory barrier is ancient history, although I think there are still some traces of it in the way PC system memory is organised... what prompted you to ask about that?

We are currently running Linux on systems with 32GB of memory and have created filesystems up to 700GB in size.

Annihilannic.

Annihilannic

Thanks

To be sure I understand.

win98 and xp still have 640 base memory barrier and use the emm to page in and out, Right?

win98 has a 132 gig drive max but

xp with sp1 does do larger hard drives, Right?

But I understand that you say linux akready does this right now?

Dick

dickttt;
is there a point you're driving at? A development concern? this is pretty low level.

Linux can handle GB of memory and large disks and large large large disk arrays without concern.

Are you writing an article? Doing homework? Writing assembly code? Throw us a bone.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

thedaver

I run win 98se. I have learned it pretty well to fix any problems but the problems keep comming.

Therefore, I want to upgrade. But to who? XP? It will solve the 132 barrier BUT is all the learning of another MS DOS (which is probably just as bad as win98) a wise move?

I am thinking that it will be better to invest the time in linux. BUT AM I STARTING FROM SCRATCH?

About the 640 barrier. I thought win98 and xp still had this barier and had to mickey mouse around it with emm386? True??

Dick

OK, I understand your context.

The Windows line hasn't had to contend with management of the 640K and <1MB RAM space as a direct user-accountable activity since at least Windows NT. Most assuredly Windows XP won't even offer that level of control to you.

If you have a machine that's so old that it only has a few MB of RAM (under which optimization of the <1MB RAM threashold was very important) then you will NOT (most likley) have a BIOS that supports big disks. Frankly, WinXP isn't much good to you without 32MB of RAM or greater - but consult MS on that.

Switching gears to Linux. Linux is probably very efficient at managing RAM in terms of making space for core OS (kernel) and user space (applications/data) across the entire RAM addressible space.

In short, (and thanks for the reminiscence) any emm386 management activities are LONG since dead with OS' of the last 7-10 years.

In terms of a recommendation... I think your jump from Win98 to anything from the last 2 years will incur some activity. WinXP would be nice, Win Vista is now on current hardware sold new.

Linux has the advantage of having multiple choices from the GUI presentation of your desktop and a little research may allow you to find a "window manager" that creates a comfortable transition for you.

A really nice way that new users to linux get their feet wet is to download and burn a bootable CD or DVD with a linux distribution on it that doesn't require installation. These are called Live CDs or Live DVDs or Live distributions. One of the most frequently mentioned is Knoppix.

These live distributions will boot from your CD/DVD drive and will allow you to experience quite a bit of a "real" linux environment without having to alter anything on your existing system. Once you've had your fun with the live distro, just remove it, reboot, and your system is back to where you came from. No changes made.

Try it

Good luck!

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

thedaver

Thanks for so much of your time.

Dick

PS computer1 has 256mg mem/ 200gig hd /xp2100 AMD cpu/ Bios is Award date june 2003.
Computer2 has 256mg ran /120gig hd AMD xp2100 / Bios just flashed with Award V6.oopg also 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back