Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic indesign spot color question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alsmit99

Technical User
Jun 19, 2007
US
I've created a white image in illustrator that is CMYK. I have placed it in an Indesign document. I want it to print as the white paper, not a CMYK build of white. How do I go about doing this? Thanks for any help.

You tell me. In Illustrator, I took a logo that was pms 3015, changed it to white. When i place it Indesign, it says that it is built with CMYK.....

I guess the question is, how do I place a "white" logo, but have it print as the paper it is being printed on.

CMYK "White" equals C-0, M-0, Y-0, K-0, meaning no color. The "white" from AI equals "paper" in INDD.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

The preflight is stating that there is a CMYK image within the document. When I delete the logo, the preflight CMYK is gone.

Of course it is. If you make any image in AI, or any image app, the color mode is recorded on the save - cmyk, rgb, etc.

When it's placed in INDD, that mode is noted.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

so, although the Preflight is stating that there is a CMYK image, when i send it to a service provider, it's going to print PMS+Black/0, not as PMS+Black+CMYK/0?

Where do you come up with a PMS? White means "print nothing on the white paper where the color is designated as white".

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

As long as your white illustrator file is not set to overprint nor a spot color, the "white" is the color of your substrate. Your service provider will know to print 4 color unless you've specified a spot color in addition to the 4 color process.
Mark

Sorry for the confusion. I have 2 logos; both designed in Illustrator - one being PMS 3015, the other white. Both have been placed into an Indesign document. There is black type in the document. I want the document to print P+K/0, no CMYK so it is cheaper.

When i did a preflight, it was telling me the white logo was CMYK, hence the confusion. Form what I am gathering, the service provider will know to print the white logo as paper, so it will be produced as 2/0, not 4p+P/0.

didn't think of that, but that is a good idea; still was wondering why Indesign's preflight was showing that though. thanks all for the help

I shows cmyk because there wasn't a spot "white" hence when outputting a blank c0m0y0k0 "paper" nothing will print, when submitting to printer specify you want, say 2 colour, spot and black they will understand that if they have a even a basic level of print knowledge. Or do what jimoblak says and assign 0% of the pantone to the white area.

Change the white in Illustator from c=0, m=0, y=0, k=0 to grayscale white. That is only k=0. Then indesign's preflight will not show cmyk.

jdguru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back