Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic help with VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0AOZ

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
I've never got involved with VPNs before, so please excuse my ignorance and bear with me...

I'm basically trying to check out a few things in the workshop here before I attempt setting up a VPN for a friend.

I have two machines running XP Pro SP3 one on each of the following networks. One is a 10.1.1.x range and the other a 192.168.1.x range. They connect together through a router, with the 192.168.1.x LAN connecting to an ADSL router to the outside world.

I have enabled an incoming VPN in the Network Connections window on the 'server' PC, and created a VPN connection on the 'client' machine. After typing in the username and password, it shows as 'connected', and another LAN icon appears in the systemtray of both machines. Not sure if this is necessary, but I made shareable a couple of folders on the 'server'.

However, this is as far as I can get! I had expected to see a drive or folder icon appear, maybe, in My Computer or My Network Places, but nothing. Is what I'm doing not possible?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Well I've made some progress, but not solved all of the issues...

I stopped trying to connect using the local networks, and brought into play a 3G wireless dongle. Initially still hit the same problem, but discovered that the XP firewall on the 'server' was stopping the 'server' drive from being mapped. My Computer of course now shows that manually mapped drive, but I'm still unable to see anything in My Network Places. Should I be able to see it there?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back