Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic disk to dynamic disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compositor

Technical User
Nov 8, 2005
GB
I have a boot drive containing Windows 2000 that I need to upgrade from basic to dynamic in order to setup drive mirroring. If I do this, will I still be able to boot into Windows 2000 or will I need to reinstall the OS?

thanks

You will still be able to bootup Windows 2000 after converting to dynamic disk.

My, aren't we optimistic...

Yes, you SHOULD be able to boot windows after the conversion. But be warned, on a fresh install of Windows, the system failed to boot after I converted the disk to dynamic. A call to microsoft was able to reverse the conversion, but it's not always a flawless operation.

I will say, that only happened to me once... but once it happens, you should always be aware that it CAN happen and have backups. (You should always have backups before making a major change to a system).

Thanks you both for your replies. I'll back everything up and tread very carefully.

LOL lwcomputing is correct. With anything affecting your boot drive, always take precautions. Thanks for the kick lw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back