Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic 3com switch questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diffy1

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2005
GB
Hi All

Any help would be much appreciated with the the following to get me up and running:

1. Is there a limit as to how many Superstack switches (4400) can be chained together. Currently we have 3 so I guess a 4th wouldnt be a problem (Switch1 is chained to Switch3 and Switch2 is chained to Switch3)

2. Can you use a straight through cable for this and does it really matter which port 12/24 (or indeed any port)is used to chain them?

3. One of our switches doesnt have an IP associated with it so hence cannot access the admin sight - is it just a case of installing the managment software.

Much appreciated

Hello Diffy1

To question 1
There wouldn't be any problems and limitations to chain switches together.
At one location I have 7 switches (3COM SuperStack II 1100) chained together in series and there aren't any problems so far.
(sw1 to sw2; sw2 to sw3; sw3 to sw4; sw4 to sw5; ...)
At another location there are 18 switches chained to an 3COM SuperStack III 4400FX.
(sw1 to sw2; sw1 to sw3; sw1 to sw4; sw1 to sw5; ...)

To question 2
As long as both sides are auto negotioated (3COM SuperStack III 4400) you can use a straight cable on EVERY port of the switch to interconnect them.
If you have fixed the speed and duplex or yu use a fiberoptic interface, you must use a crossover cable.

To question 3
If the switch which has no IP associated is unconfigured so far,
the switch would get an IP-address from a DHCP Server by default (after reboot). So you can access the switch if you search on your subnet with an IP-scanner.
It would be easier if you have a crossover serial cable and a termianl emulation software (like Hyperterminal) on your PC. Then you can access the switch trough the console port on the back of the switch.

Thanks SheffieldDave - much appreciated!

The strage thing I noticed is the chain sequence (Switch1 is chained to Switch3 and Switch2 is chained to Switch3)- could this cause unecessary bottlenecks rather then a typical setup - ie sw1 to sw2; sw1 to sw3 etc

Cheers again,

The first chain sequence is really a little bit strange, but it was just to show that such combinations also work.
You are right, such a sequence would cause bottlenecks if you transfer heavy traffic through this chain, so servers at the end of the chain are no clever idea.
But for a client situation the capacity would be enough.

And if you boost up the uplinks to Gigabit Ethernet, servers at the end of the chain are also possible.

The chain sequence you plan to implement is always to prefere so the explanation with the strange chain sequence was just to take you the fear;-)

I'm trying to manage my switch through the Console Port, but I can't get hyperterminal to connect.

I can't use the "Serial Web Utility" program mentioned in the Mangement Guide because I don't have a Win9x computer.

I've connected the computer to the switch with a null modem cable. I've checked my port settings:
Port: Com 2
Bps: 19200
Data Bits: 8
Parity: none
Stop bit: 1
Flow Ctl: none

I've configured hyperterminal to operate as a VT100 terminal (as instructed in the "Solving Command LIne Interface Problems). I've also performed the interface-wak-up procedures (pressing Return a few times), and I know remote access is enabled because I can manage the switch through the Web Console (although the other switches I'll need to work with don't have this enabled/configured yet).

I don't get a prompt for a login or even an error message. Hyperterminal simply says "Connected" and counts the minutes/seconds. What am I doing wrong???

Sorry, I meant to start a new thread with my above post and accidently posted it as a reply to this one. How do I remedy this?

And I'm working with a 3Com SuperStack 3 3300XM Switch

make sure that you connected the cable to com2 and not the com1

also I usually use 9600 bps with superstack 3 switches.

BTW check the teraterm. it's much more convinient to use than hyperterminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back