Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Barcoding for Lubrication Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

buitenhek

Vendor
Jun 27, 2003
US
Greetings, I am usually in the cabling forum but need help for my father. His company supplies lube oils around Charlotte, NC. Their current rote systems works well but I think they could benefit from automating the inventory using barcode software & readers.
Any insight from the experts. Thank you.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
Profit Developer.com

Well there's a lot of knowhow about the technicalities in here. But my first thought would be to scout around the vendors in your area- easiest is surely a turnkey solution where someone supplies & installs everything from the readers to the database and then commissions the whole thing.

Perhaps ask the people who supply you, or your customers, if they have barcoded inventory systems. Or next time you're in a shop which uses barcode in your area, make a note of the manufacturers' / vendors' labels.

I've set up a MS Access based system which prints and reads bar-codes. It's pretty straightforward. You buy bar-codes from a vendor. They're nothing more than a Truetype font. I live in south Africa, so I got mine over the Internet from Carolina Barcode.You buy a scanner and daisy chain it with your keyboard. Then it's just a matter of minor alterations to whatever system you use. Don't be put off by those who tell you it's all smoke and mirrors.

Access makes all things possible. It even makes them intelligible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back