Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Barcode solution for Great Plains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I'm about ready to implement a barcode solution for Great Plains. However the standard module for it is around 50,000 which is too much money for our size inventory. We are not a retail outlet(walmart style,etc.) and sell mainly to farmers and agriculture businesses. Does anyone know of a cheaper solution or 3rd party program that will work?

How do you want to use the bar code with respect to Great Plains? Can you give more specifics, i.e. what parts have to be automated, or automatically generated; are you reading them, printing them, etc. etc.

We use barcodes to some degree with our setup, but I need to understand more about what you're trying to achieve.

We will print barcode labels to put on boxes of specific part items. Individual items alone will not have barcodes on them. But on the box they are contained in or on a separate sheet of paper. We would like to take a barcode scanner, scan it, and then record inventory. We would also like to have a scanner and computer up near the door (Point of sale sort of thing but much more casual) and print their order right away instead of writing it down. As of now, most people don't know what they are paying for the parts (which works in the type of business we are in)

Thanks

Sorry I disappeared there for a while ...

Are you using Crystal Reports for your invoices / inventory forms / whatever you need to put the barcode on?

I put barcodes on our invoices etc. (which are done in Crystal Reports). We purchased a barcode font, which has to be added to any PC from which invoices will be printed. There's a formula to convert the text of an invoice # into barcode language (lines & spaces etc.). Then the final piece is just the scanner to read the barcode. Attached to your computer keyboard, it will read the barcode and insert the invoice number in the field where the cursor is placed.

Hope that's helpful. Let me know if you have more questions, and I'll try to explain more if it's of use to you. And it won't take a week and a half for the next reply. : -)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back