Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

barcode in access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelove

Programmer
Oct 19, 2002
BE
owkee i'm a total newbie to this barcode linked with access thing
but for a new project i have to link all stock items to a barcode label
meaning
new items get a new barcode label
and all items in current stock need to be labelled too (and added to the database)

it's for a shop, but how do i approach this exactly?

so i make a table for the items, and the unique number = is also the barcode nr so no double entries can be made (but more pieces of same product require same unique number and so barcode)
and when a customer picks that item, and comes to pay, we scan the item, the database search for it, and prints the item on a receipt ..and so on for all items until the customer checks out

how do i implement this, cause i'm totally new to this one, does anyone have tips, suggestions, websites with good tutorials or something?

thx

ok
and how do i code it that when my scanner reads the barcode , Access searches for the number of that record and displays the item on the screen to make the receipt?

When a barcode is scanned from a barcode scanner it has exactly the same effect as if you typed data from your keyboard into a text box in Access.

Use Access to create a report based on the input from a text box. Link the fields on your Report to the relevant data but display it using a barcode font or an ActiveX barcode plugin.(see
I have just completed a major barcode project using Access and found that an ActiveX plugin was a lot more versatile than a simple barcode font.

Be careful which barcode font you use (code39,code 93 etc.), as some do not handle long strings of text very well in that they create a barcode that is too wide to scan with a basic scanner.

I'm something of a newbie too and am about to start a barcode project. I thought I would address another question here that my be relevant to Bluelove.

When you scan a barcode, it will simply go into your Access database, acknowledging the entry of that item. That's it.

So what exactly indicates that your stock item is "checked in" or "checked out"? Something has to happen to increment or decrement your stock list in your database.

I know that some scanners allow you to make custom prompts. Your answers to the prompts (which you would key in) would be entered as additional fields in the same record as the scan. If that is the case, if you are concerned with the movement of stock, you need a prompt that would say something like "Check In/Out?" to which you would answer "true" for incoming stock, or "false" for when the stock is sold or spent. In the Access database, I would simply call this Boolean field "status." True means the piece is here, false means it was taken away.

So at the end of the day you import this data with perhaps several duplicate items but with different values for "status." You would need to use those items with false in the status field to know which of the corresponding items with "true" to delete - and then you'd need to delete the falses. Ultimately, a sort of kamikaze macro that instructs any record with "false" as its status field value to delete one instance of its duplicate with "true" as its status, and then delete itself. Loop that action until there are no false values left.

Has this matter crossed you in your project yet, Bluelove? Does anyone else think I am/am not going in the right direction here?

Thank you!

Bluelove,
As was mentioned above, entering data with a keyboard wedge scanner is equivalent to entering it yourself on the keyboard. This makes testing your database easy. If you have questions about how to design your database, I would recommend you try the Access forums. There are many people there that know Access incredibly well. That's the best source I've found for Access help.

DrCl,
The method you are using sounds like it would work. If I understand correctly, you're talking about using a portable reader, rather than a keyboard wedge scanner. I have tackled a similar program (and suffered many bruises in the process) using a transaction-based approach. It requires more error checking than anything else, but it can be done.

Good luck to you. I'd like to hear how both of these projects turn out.

Blue,
A question. Do your products have barcodes already on them?
99.9% of all products have a barcode. All you need is a module to change the 12 digit number to special characters for the barcode font.
I have a db that uses the UPC-A barcode; It reads the scanned barcode, creates the special chararacters, updates inventory, does not allow duplicate barcode number entries and if need be, you can figure your own barcode number.
Also have 3 UPC-A fonts I designed that work on a deskjet (reads about 99%) on a laserjet it reads 100%.
1 is normal, 1 is numbers on top and 1 has extended length.
Send me your email and I will send a couple of screen shots, I also have a stripped down UPC-A.MDE I could zip and send you.
jim
jpen_10@hotmail.com

XP2000,
Sounds about what I am trying to do. But my question is after I create the barcode which I do in Corel 10, put it on the item and enter the data in Access and the barcode number in the appropriate field save it a close Access. Then I want to be able to scan the barcode on an item and have it open up Access and go to that file and show the results. Any help would be appreciated. In trying to find out this answer which has not been easy and trying to find freeware or shareware to do it I came accross an answer that said: put all your info into the database, pics etc. Then I would need to have a VB software program that would be the front end and know that when the barcode pen reads a barcode it will go and open Access and hunt for that barcode info in a particular database. Ex: one database for pictures another rmight be for hardeware.
is there an easier way or is that the only option.

Bluelove,

Stock items have already barcodes but problem is for those that don't have them. Common case is with fruits which normally don't have barcode labels in them. Problem is solved with so called PLU (Product Look Up) numbers. Label printing scale prints label with barcode that can be scanned at the cashier after. Barcode is being generated by special application which ususlly comes with label printing scale. This information is stored then in PLU file. It is veru hard to find out how all this process works so any other comment should be appreciated.

fadMis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back