Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bar coding with access 2k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2001
US
Does access have the inherit ability to create bar codes or do I NEED to purchase third party software to make it happen?

Depends on what your trying to accomplish. You can do it as easily as installing a bar code font and using that font on a report. Some free basic fonts are available for downloading. If your needing more sophistication you can always purchase a bar code application that allows you to more flexability in designing labels including various bar code formats etc. which can read access tables via ODBC. I personally like Bar Tender from seagullscientific.com. Let us know what you are trying to accomplish for more specific pointers.

We are looking for a quick and dirty way of doing inventory control. We want to be able to print labels for a specific serial number on the fly. It looks like the bar code font should accomplish what I am looking to do.

raff, the quickest way, if you are somewhat familiar with VB, is to go to the following web site and copy the code. Hopefully your inventory items are UPC-A (most products have these) or EAN-13, European Article Numbers.
There are other barcodes on this site too.
Go to the EAN-13 page. The font is also included. Jean'Marie is quite a guy and please don't forget to "Thank Him."
jim

What are printing with? I have found a VBA module I can use to print barcodes in reports. It works best with laser printers on sheet fed labels. If you are printer one label at a time a dedicated barcode printer would be better. I use a thermal transfer (more permanant) label printer from Zebra. The printer comes ready to barcode. There is a FAQ this site with directions on how to set that up in VB. Just apply this to Access.

You have to consider the number of labels you will be printing, if you are talking in the thousands then it is best to purchase a dedication barcode printer. Also note that if you choose to go the thermal (no ink) route, the costs are considerably reduced.

All barcode printer manufacterers recommend ink thermal printing, rather than direct thermal, using replacement of print head as an excuse. Don't beleive a word of it, it's just another way of getting more money out of you.

However, if you want your labels to last a long time, then ink thermal may well be the way to go. Direct thermal fades in sunlight, or through vigorous rubbing (which will darken the label).

Ahdkaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back