Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bar Codes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

doorbreaker

Programmer
Nov 19, 2002
GB
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of using and scanning bar codes to update their SQL Server database.

I have just got an ASP barcode generator component working and I'm now at the next step of seeing how to let people scan these barcodes (once printed) to update the db.

Any friendly pushes in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Thanks for the thread.

Do you think it would be possible to use a third party application that would update the sql server db directly (without the need for text boxes)?

I could run some scheduled vbscript to check for updates to the db after the barcode scanning had been done. Just wondering....

Thanks

Chris

Ok, maybe it would be easier to see if what I need is possible if I spell it out exactly.

We are currently printing off order details. These have labels to stick on the products to be delivered. There is also a barcode printed. Hopefully the people in the warehouse will be able to scan the barcode as the product leaves the warehouse. This should eventually send an email to tell the customer that the order is on its way.

Thanks

bar code scanners / readers basically act as interperted keyboards. there must always be a 'receprical' for the pseudo key strokes to go into. WHAT receptical is, of course, up to youm but a text box is a common and easy one to at least start w/.

MichaelRed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back