Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bandwidth Utilization

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam4help

Programmer
Jul 22, 2011
AE
Dears All,

I am in fix one of client has asked for what size of data bandwidth usage application eat up.
Can some one help me in this? its a just simple transactions like a search a db and display simple row of data. but some time it may need to return multiple rows of data but each row will not have more than max 4-5 columns. this is the first time someone has asked such question and we know its just to show off and trouble us.

what is the normal reply given such time if someone asks?

Best regards,

Sam

You could run some pages (from a browser or wget wtc) and count the number of bytes in the response page.
Start with 1 row in the response and then try 2 rows. The difference in page sizes between one row page and two row page will show you how much extra is needed for 1 row. You should be able to work out the page size for any number of rows.
e.g. with 1 row 100 bytes
with 2 rows 110 bytes therefore space required for 1 row is 110 - 100 = 10 bytes.
Page overhead(what always gets sent) = row 1 - size for 1 row i.e. 100 - 10 = 90 bytes.
so if you show 200 rows you will need 200 * 10 = 2000 bytes + 90 bytes overhead = 2090 bytes
Grossly simple but add on the HTTP headers (say 200 bytes max as overhead) would give you 2000 + 90 + 200 = 2290 bytes.

Thanks ingresman for detailed reply, but the question they have asked is for a Desktop Client Application. And it's data passed on network.

Best Regards,

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back