Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bandwidth Question / Like Iperf

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftFielder

Technical User
Jul 23, 2003
US

Hi All,
I was asked to make sure that my company is getting the bandwidth that they are paying for. Currently, we have a 25mb pipe with someone and we are questioning whether this is what we are actually getting.

I love Iperf but I need a tool that will work on its own. For example to run Iperf you need a client and server/daemon. However, since I do not have access to my provider's equipment I can not use Iperf.

Also, I do not have access to another circuit which has anything close to this amount of available bandwidth.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Lefty

if you are wondering what your actual load looks like, may be the tool you are looking for, however this does not generate load it just measures the current load.

Most 'speed test' sites can only reliablely test about 5 mbps of load
I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Thanks but that wouldn't help me in my situation.

MRTG monitors / displays incoming and outgoing data. I would like to know what the maximum threshold is for incoming and outgoing data on the circuit in question.

This i'm not sure how to achieve. Correct me if i'm wrong but the way to tell the "true" amount of bandwidth your provider has allocated to you is by running a test from behind the router on my circuit to the "central office" wherever that is... from there you're on your own.

Also, thanks for pointing out that most 'speed test' sites are only reliable to 5 mbps. I was not aware of that and thats a very useful piece of info to know.

Lefty

Mind you the link has 200 speed test sites, if you did a LOT of speed tests at once with MRTG running, you would see the maximum load. Not very gracefull though, but free

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Thats true,

Someone here actually did something similar to what you just recommended. Except for instead of doing a bunch of speed tests he ran Iperf from multiple sites. Basically the same thing. Huh, not the answer I was expecting but it works.

Thank you jimbopalmer I appreciate the help

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back