Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bandwidth limited link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2004
GB
Hoping someone can help me on this.

Probably a very easy one to answer and apologies if it is a silly question:--

I have 3 routers:-

Router A
Router B
Router C

3 networks:-

10.34.0.0 / 24
10.33.0.0 / 24
10.67.0.0 / 24

10.34.0.0 is connected to Router A
10.33.0.0 is connected to router B
10.67.0.0 is connected to router C

Router C sits between router A and Router B.

I have limited the bandwidth on all 3 routers to 30K to simulate real life capacity when in the field.
I have also set the Small, medium, large and Huge buffers to MIN=0 and MAX=0.
The problem is that when we send information across this link that exceeds the 30 K bandwidth limit we should see immediate packet loss, but we dont. It appears to take almost double the bandwidth before we start seeing the packet loss.

The bandwidth setting on the Srial Interfaces is as follows:-

bandwidth 30

This should be correct. The scanning software sees that the links are only 30 K.

Help please.

The bandwidth command does not actually limit the bandwidth of the links. It's just used to provide information to routing protocols for working out metrics when selecting routes. It has no effect on the bit rate of the link.

To set the bit rate / bandwidth of a serial link use the command 'clockrate' on the DCE end.

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

NO the clockrate doesn't limit the bandwidth it switches the line to internal clock. To limit the bandwidth you need to set up rate limiting. See Cisco's web site on how to do this. It's not to hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back