Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bandwidth hemorrage

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlus

Technical User
Sep 26, 2002
Hello,

I am but a simple web host, and know nothing to speak of regarding to flash.

I have a customer, however, who inexplicably is consuming vast amounts of bandwidth, to the tune of almost 60GB since 7-1

He has virtually no visitors to his site, he shows virtually no FTP or HTTP traffic, he swears he is not spamming (that would be an aweful lot of spam)

We've stripped evreything out of his website except for one or two basic html pages and he's still bleeding bandwidth.

I noticed in his home page, he has the following code:

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase=" width="450" height="400">
<param name="movie" value="Flash/4.swf">
<param name="quality" value="high">
<embed src="Flash/4.swf" quality="high" pluginspage=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="400"></embed></object>
<br>
</p>
<table width="50%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<tr>
<td><object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase=" width="500" height="400">
<param name="movie" value="Jukebox/jukematrix.swf">
<param name="quality" value="high">
<embed src="Jukebox/jukematrix.swf" quality="high" pluginspage=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="500" height="400"></embed></object>

The .swf files in his site are several MB's each. Which if he had a ton of traffic, could eventually add up, but I'm wondering... if he (or someone) simply has this guys home page loaded and left on for an extended time, does it continue to draw bandwidth to run this video, or does it cache to the users local machine?

Thx in advance, as I am running out of ideas on this one!

Vlus

The video as a .swf file will cache on the user's machine so I don't think that's the problem. Weird.

But if it's a jukebox flash file, that probably means it is streaming in .mp3 files, which I suppose could add up to bandwidth, especially if left on to stream a large playlist, or something.

Bizzlebob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back