Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bandwidth Equal Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

green6

Programmer
Apr 29, 2003
US
Anyone have any good ideas on how to guarantee equal access on a WAN link to the Internet supporting multiple users?

The scenario is a router with a T1 Internet link serving up to 100 users. How would I set up the link to give two users 50% of the bandwidth each, four users 25% each, 10 users 10% each, etc.

I'm trying to share the bandwidth fairly and to stop users who have download accelerators from monopolizing the link.

I'm thinking a policy map of some sort but not quite sure of alternative options.

Thanks,

Green6

lerdalt,

Thank you, that is close to what I'm attempting to achieve.

I don't necessarily want to police all traffic at an upper limit though.

I would like to have the allocated bandwidth per user change as users come and go. But, based on the IP address so that users with download accelerators won't be able to take more than their fair share.

I'll have to look more into the class map options that you point out in your thread.

Greatly appreciated.

it it's a t1 then you are using fair-queue as the queuing mechanism. if you understand the logic then you know that the most aggressive flows will be "punished" more than the least aggressive flows. The idea is to share the bandwidth equally amongst all flows. Are you seeing some users monopolize the link right now??

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back