Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BakupExec 8.0 for NetWare

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2001
GB
I am having endless problems with this at the moment. Everytime a backup job runs it hangs and abends the server.
I'm going to put backupexec into protected workspace but I still don't understand why it hangs all the time.
Also when you try and abort the job it just sits there until the cows come home!!
Help me Please!

I wish I could help, but I can only comiserate. I am having constant problems as well and have been told everthing under the sun to help, such as:

clean the tape drive very regularly

delete the jobs in the job history

format the tapes(which I'm trying to find out how to do)

stop BE unload SCSII drivers and load them back, then restart BE

get new tapes(I get bad tape errors constantly, but they can't all be bad)

I think the real solution is to use another backup software.

Michelle Fulton

Oh, one more thing I was told might help:

Purge all deleted files

Good luck! Michelle Fulton

Thanks for that Michelle.
Could you possibly go into any more detail about the unloading of the scsii drivers etc - haven't tried that yet.

Anna Ridley

The reason for unloading the scsii drivers is because the tape drive is scsii. The following is what I was instructed to go through at the prompt after closing the BE manager:

bestop
unload aha2940.ham
unload aic78u2.ham(this driver isn't already loaded)
load aic7842.ham(this driver doesn't load)
load aha2940.ham(select default if asked for slot)
bestart

I have always gotten the error message that I have to unload nwtape before starting BE and these steps don't change that. I don't really have any prior experience with BE or Novell and I didn't load the software, so I'm not sure if this isn't due to problems with the setup. Do you get this error? I'm still trying to get an answer as to why the aic7842.ham won't load. I'll get back to you when I get more info. Even after I do all of the things above and run v_long and restart the server, I still have 99% bad backups. I'm about to go crazy. Have you gotten any advice in addition to, or different from mine?

Thanks! Michelle Fulton

Can u please checkup the free cache buffer are available in your system.

There may be a problem with the memory.

Usha Sharma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back