Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bah!! - can't get htaccess/htpasswd to work on WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirls

Programmer
Aug 2, 2001
GB
Hi Guys

Can anyone help me with please?

Have setup httpd.conf with the settings everyone recommends on here.

#
# This controls which options the .htaccess files in directories can
# override. Can also be "All", or any combination of "Options", "FileInfo",
# "AuthConfig", and "Limit"
#

<Directory &quot;c:/server/apache/htdocs/protected&quot;>
AllowOverride AuthConfig
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

#
# AccessFileName: The name of the file to look for in each directory
# for access control information.
#

AccessFileName .htaccess

# Also, folks tend to use names such as .htpasswd for password
# files, so this will protect those as well.
#
<Files ~ &quot;^\.ht&quot;>
Order allow,deny
Deny from all
Satisfy All
</Files>

The .htaccess file is in the directory I want to password protect.

My .htaccess file looks like this....

AuthUserFile &quot;C:/server/apache/passwd/.htpasswd&quot;
AuthGroupFile /null
AuthName &quot;Restricted Area&quot;
AuthType Basic

<Limit GET POST>
require valid-user
</Limit>

I've used htpasswd.exe to create the .htpasswd file that is stored in c:/server/apache/passwd/ using the settings below

htpasswd.exe -cmb .htpasswd admin password, this creates the file with no problems.

The problem is that when I direct the browser to the password protected directory I get the password prompt, but it will not authorise the password at all.

Where am I going wrong???

Are you sure the .htpasswd file is really in the protected directory, or did it end up in the directory where the htpasswd.exe resides? I found the latter, and had to move the .htpasswd file to the correct location after creating it.

Everything else you've done looks OK to me. Newposter
&quot;Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.&quot;

Have moved the .htpasswd file to the protected directory, and changed the .htaccess file

from - AuthUserFile &quot;C:/server/apache/passwd/.htpasswd&quot;

to - AuthUserFile &quot;C:/server/apache/htdocs/protected/.htpasswd&quot;

Have restarted Apache, even though I probably didn't need to, but still no joy, still getting the 401 Authorisation error screen.

I just can't figure it out, everything looks right, everything is where it's supposed to be, but it still won't authorise the password :-(

Have you checked the .htpasswd file, actually opened it to see if the user cred were created ok? Just a thought

É ::

Hi,

Yes checked that .htpasswd contains....

admin:$apr1$5e2.....$VuTtzyadoYS78OViw/Dgf1

Apart from Apache, PHP, MySQL and Perl the only other thing running on the computer is Zonealarm. I don't see that ZA could be the problem though as I have set it so that it allows the 4 other programs internet access.

It's got me stumped.

I am having the exact same problem. It appears that everything is set up correctly and I have made sure the .htpasswd file is not in the same directory as the .htaccess file. But when I type in the user/password it just repeats the request for a login.

I am curious on one other thing that I hope someone can explain. When I use htpasswd to create or add to the password file, the users password always appears differenly even for the same user and password. I saw notes saying this encryption would change eveytime but if this is never consistant, even for the same user/pass pair, then how can it ever match when someone tries to log on? When a user tries to log on aren't they going thru basically the same process that is done when the user password is created in the first place? Thanks.

The encryption changes every time a password is created, not every time it's used to log in.

Looks like everything you've done is OK, don't know why it won't authorize. Newposter
&quot;Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back